I’m sure that there are people out there that are incensed that our governor banned fireworks outside of the city limits.
I’m also, sadly, sure that there are people who are going to completely ignore the danger and the ban.
I hope they can find them and make them pay for all the costs that are incurred by the fire they are going to start.
The latest article I read says we have 6 fires still burning, covering over 121,000 acres of land. Close to, or even more than, 200 homes (and cabins) have been destroyed and I know of at least one life that has been lost.
- Clay Springs Fire – 88,000 acres
- Rosecrest Fire – 650 acres
- Lost Lake Fire
- Wood Hollow Fire – 47,295 acres
- Seely Fire – 15,790 acres
- New Harmony Fire – 1,826 acres
- Pole Creek Fire – 1,868 acres
- Church Camp Fire – 5,750 acres
- Wolf Den Fire – 1,000 acres
- Dump Fire
From what I’ve read a whole 3 (about 30%) of the fires were caused by natural phenomena. That makes the other 70% caused by human mistakes and/or stupidity.
Update – Thanks to the link Lisa gave in her comment, I have a more accurate count on Human vs. Nature wildfires (Note: Previous stats were on all major wildfires that made the news. The new stats include all reported wildfires):
Maybe, just maybe, people will think before they set off fireworks and just not do it. We’ll see.