Friday, June 29, 2012

Can you feel it?

The Earth is slowing down.  According to International Timekeepers and the U.S. Naval Observatory, over the last 100 years the Earth’s spin has slowed down so much that it has added almost 2 milliseconds to a day.

Now I have a response when my students complain about the day dragging on.

So, in order to keep “high noon” a valid label, we’re getting an extra second added to this Saturday.  It officially happens at midnight universal time, which will be at 6 pm here in Salt Lake City.  We will go from 5:59 pm, to 5:60 pm and then to 6:00 pm.

I don’t know about you, but I’m having a party that second.

2 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Yeah, I heard about it on twitter. I can't recall who sent the tweet, but it went like this:
Attention: June 30 will have 1 extra second added to the day. Please plan accordingly.

I liked that. :)

Alexia said...

Me t- !