Monday, December 06, 2010

Inverenza

I spent the weekend in bed feeling sick.  Started Saturday morning feeling all achy, tired, headache and a bit of a tummy gurgle.  I went out twice all weekend, less than an hour each time and only because I had an obligation I needed to have taken care of before today.  Got up this morning still feeling kind of blah, but as most teachers know, it’s more work to get a substitute than to just show up feeling like crap, unless you are seriously ill.  Miraculously, by noon I was feeling perfectly fine.

Ironically, one of Salt Lake’s infamous temperature inversions* set in Friday night, got terribly murky both Saturday and Sunday and was virtually cleaned out by a rain storm that came in before noon today.

Could there be a connection?  Nah.

I kind of got the idea that maybe I wasn’t really sick, it was just the bad air, sometime during last winter.  I’m convinced there is a connection, but not convinced that if I ignored my symptoms and just went on normally, that I wouldn’t end up really getting sick.  Sometime, when I can afford the time, I’m going to have to just go on my merry way and see if everything goes away with the inversion, rather than actually catching the flu or whatnot.

Maybe.  Or maybe I’ll just enjoy the excuse to lay in bed all day.

 

 

  * Salt Lake City is in a bowl, a valley surrounded by mountains that reach up to 4,000 or 5,000 feet above the valley floor.  Especially in the winter, a high pressure will settle in over the valley and trap in the air.  This also traps colder air down in the valley, so it will actually be warmer up at the ski resorts than down in the valley.

4 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Wasn't that fog last night just WEIRD? Coming from my parents' house, I could hardly see 15 feet ahead of my car.

Oh, and you can't get sick now. We have THE EVENT of the season this Friday, remember?

Mustang Sally said...

Interesting. If you decide at some future time to do the experiment do let us know the results. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

21 Wits said...

I think you have or had, what hit our lovely (sick) town....it hit our family/work really just about everyone it seems, some got it worse than others...no matter where I went this weekend people were all very much under the weather....I hope you're feeling better soon!

Max Sartin said...

Writer - don't worry, it'll take more than an inversion to keep me from the event of the season.
Sally - Shall do, if I survive it, I'll let you know how it went.
Karen - thanks. I'm feeling much better already.