Sunday, April 03, 2011

One if…

This week’s Thematic Photographic theme is “By land, sea or air.”  If you’ve never heard of Thematic Photographic, or just want to see all the other entries for this week, click the banner at the bottom of this post.  If not, hopefully you’ll like the few pictures I have here.
I have to admit I didn’t take this first one, although it’s been in my “collection” since the 70’s.  My father is an avid outdoorsman, in his seventies he still is not against going camping once in a while.  that is one of the reasons my parents decided to relocate from Boston out to Utah when I was 14.  He has traveled thousands of miles of out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere roads in Southern Utah, and came across this sign down there.  He’s on the right, with the bandage on his forehead.  I have no idea where this was taken, but I do know that it is not on Highway 163.
Waverunners on Lake Powell.  Kind of like motorcycles of the sea.
A remote controlled sail boat on the pond in Sugarhouse Park.
And finally, air.  Planes taking off and/or landing at sunset.

9 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Okay, that top photo is funny!
And, as usual, your sunset photos are amazing. Wish I could do that.
But jet skis are evil. I curse the things. I've never yet seen one person use them in a way that showed respect for other people. Their invention drove many an old-time boater off of Lake Powell. Ugh.

Max Sartin said...

To me, jet skis are like ATVs and cell phones, not inherently evil but highly prone to obnoxious misuse.
My brother never let anyone use his early in the morning or late in the evening. His kids were taught to be considerate of other people in general, and it was expected on the jet skis too. You didn't ride into other people's camps. You didn't try to cut off a boat, a skier or any other person in the water.
Jet skis, cell phones and ATVs definitely magnify people's boorish and rude behavior, but I think the tendency to that kind of behavior has to already be there.

Alexia said...

A great collection of shots. Did you ever find out what had happened to your Dad's head?

I agree about the jetskis - as with so many things, it's how they're used that is important. There have been a few deaths and nasty injury accidents because of them this last summer in this country.

Great sunset/sunrise pics!

Max Sartin said...

Alexia I probably did hear the story at the time, my dad was great at telling stories. But at this point I don't remember. Probably just bumped his head crawling around some rocks somewhere out in the desert.

On My Soapbox said...

The color in the last photo is just gorgeous!

Bob Scotney said...

If it's not 163 then you're lost I presume. Great series, especially the sunset/sunrise pics and the remote controlled boat.

21 Wits said...

Laughing...at such a great sign.....Your Dad looks like he's having the time of his life! As always Max you capture such awesome photos...the last one is my fave...but they are all excellent views!

Anonymous said...

That last shot is breathtaking! Great photographic roundup for the theme, Max.

Max Sartin said...

Wow, glad so many people liked that last one. Thanks for the comments.