Monday, April 18, 2011

Before and After

I was cleaning up the office the other day and came across an old filmstrip that must have been from a high school Driver’s Ed course.  It was made in ‘78 or ‘79 for the Motor Vehicle Division of the Utah State Tax Commission.  All I have are the pictures, no dialog that is supposed to go along with them, but one of the pictures simply said “Registering your vehicle”, so my guess is it had to do with, well, registering your vehicle.  One of the slides was taken on 3900 So and Wasatch Blvd, right by the Olympus Hills Mall.  I was up in that area yesterday, so I decided to get a current shot from the same spot.  Here are the before and after shots:

BEFORE
taken sometime in 1978 or 1979

AFTER
taken on 4/17/11

At some point this summer, I’m going to try to recreate as many of the city shots as possible both from this filmstrip and ones I took, circa 2011.  So, expect to see them on here.  If you want to see the filmstrip in it’s entirety, you can go HERE to see it.  Use the scroll bar on the right side of the projector screen to scroll through the pictures.

5 comments:

21 Wits said...

Hello Max....
I'm sharing a great gift....and honoring you with an award! Just go here to collect it!

http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2011/04/award-versatile-blogger-for-me.html

21 Wits said...

Good grief what happened to Writer? I took a short trip to come back and see I'm not approved to comment on writer's stuff any more...I hope all is well with her (I'll miss blogging with her), and since I can't give her the Versatile Blogger award...maybe you can!

Max Sartin said...

Karen - I hope your trip was a good one! and welcome back. Thank you for the award, I am honored and will soon post on it.
As for Writer, she found it necessary to go private. I will let her know that you want to continue to read and comment on her blog, I can't speak for her, but I think her regulars are still welcome.

A Paperback Writer Photos said...

I remember that sign!!! Actually, I think it looked classier than the current stuff.
And look at the traffic light! Wow! Remember when they all used to hang like that?
Wasn't Skagg's right there? I recall its being somewhere right near there.

Karen, I had a post up for 2 days explaining my situation. If you want an "invite" to keep reading my blog, you can comment with your e-mail address on my photoblog (which is still public), and I'll get you signed up.

Max Sartin said...

Skaggs was down on 33rd So, just west of 30th East. It's a big vacant building now, has been for years, ever since the Smiths moved into the old Grand Central/Fred Meyer store right on 30th East. I lived just behind the Skaggs for a couple of years in the late 80's.