Friday, July 13, 2012

Auto repair, lesson 2

The back window of the “new” car was a little bit loose.  I had to push it forward when closing the door so that it would fit right.

So I pulled off the door panel, and these two bolts drop out.  Could be the problem, no?

Yes.  One was from the top, the other from the bottom of this:

The bar that holds the window in, that plastic is bolted to the glass.  So I put the bolts back on and tightened them down and, voila, the window doesn’t wobble any more.

Cool.  Hook up the power window switch, put it all back together and I’ll have 3 out of the 4 windows working correctly.

Oops.  Some (expletive deleted) cut the wires to the switch, rather than just unplugging it.

Junkyard time.  Gotta go get me a good switch plug.  Fortunately, any Ford, with power windows, built somewhere between 1970 and 1978 should have the right part.

2 comments:

21 Wits said...

What great pictures! Not too far from me is a junk yard, salvage center, whatever you want to call it, and he only has Ford, Mercury and Lincolns....everything you can imagine he has it....you would just love this place! He runs a pretty sharp yard too (I've been to some that are so bad) not this place! Last time I was there, one of his like 7 or 8 toed cats, seriously more than five hopped in our car and figured he'd found a new home. It was quite funny!

Max Sartin said...

I haven't found one out here that has just Ford, Mercury and Lincoln, that sounds perfect for me. I know what you mean by good/bad junkyards. We have a few that are so well set up you can find what you're looking for quite easily. Others you spend half the day just finding the right kind of car.