Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Fridayest of Frietag of all Venerdi.

“This is it, this is life, the one you get, so go ahead and have a ball.”

Tomorrow is The Last Day Of School for this year.

As always, it’s bittersweet.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m ready for it, looking forward to it.  I’m exhausted, my nerves are frazzled and if I paid attention to my stress-induced physical symptoms I’d probably be on all kinds of medication.  (They always disappear before the next weekend).

But at the same time, there are some 800 people that have, peripherally at the very least, been a part of my daily life and that I will not see at all for a couple-three months.  About a third of them I may never see again.  That’s part of life as a teacher, you accept it even if you don’t completely get used to it.

So, tomorrow is going to be a great day.  I’ll be relaxed as I drive home.  I’ll do nothing all weekend except relax some more. 

But every now and then, I’ll miss the interactions, the laughter, the kidding around, the questions and answers and those spontaneous comments that stick in my mind.

“Money is temporary, but cooking is forever.”

3 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

This is THE LONGEST week of the year for us teachers. Whew.
However, it's also the time when 8th graders in particular think it's cool to "help," and you can get them to move heavy textbooks from room to room as needed -- and they think it's great.

Lisa Shafer said...

PS. C'mon over and play my writers' game for this week!

Max Sartin said...

Don't worry, I will. Sometime Saturday after I get the first good night's sleep this week.