Sunday, October 30, 2011

I’m having a metal breakdown

I heard it all.  From a terrorist attack, pipe bomb to an explosion.  The only thing for sure is that an old Ford truck caught fire in the drive-thru at the McDonalds in Sugarhouse.  Probably just a simple engine fire since the only official on site was a security guard, No F.B.I., no C.S.I., no Homeland Security.

But a fire there was.  And at 7:30 PM tonight, the truck was still there, in the drive-thru, and the entire McDonalds property was fenced off.  I could still smell the charred wood.

Now, I’m not a big fan of McDonalds food.  I’d say it’s been over 3 years since I’ve eaten there, and I really don’t miss it.  But I feel bad for the people who work there and hope and pray that nobody got hurt.

And on the “small world” note, this McDonalds happens to be on the exact corner of the original Free Wheeler Pizza.  In fact, we had to move out of the original store because McDonalds bought the building so they could put this restaurant there.

So, there’s the burnt metal of an old ford, the dangling metal of the building’s gutter and, of course, the chain link fence surrounding the whole thing.  That’s my connection to the Metallic theme of:

4 comments:

A Paperback Writer Photos said...

I read in the Trib that all employees made it out just fine, and even the driver was not hurt. It's a shame that the truck was right near the building, though, instead of in the parking lot where less damage would've been done.

Max Sartin said...

That's good, that everyone got out safe and sound.

Bob Scotney said...

I can see you being a photo-journalist, Max. Two events in one week means you are always on the scene.

Max Sartin said...

Noe that would be a fun job for me - photo journalist. Maybe in 12 years when I retire from teaching?