Thursday, June 16, 2011

“Went to a garden party…”

I walked over to the park today, expecting to see the pond well over it’s banks thanks to the recent warm weather.  Since several creeks in the city were supposed to be hitting levels high enough to reach bridges over them, I was surprised to find the pond at it’s normal level, the sidewalk around it was completely dry.

So I decided to get a picture of how it should look and show everyone the comparison with my picture in the last post.  First, the picture you’ve already seen:

And the way it should look, and does today:

I don’t know for sure, but one possibility is that this creek gets it’s water from lower elevations, which would have melted a lot sooner.  I know that the creek they were talking about on the news was from one of the Cottonwood Canyons, where 4 ski resorts reside, meaning that it gets it’s water from some of the higher elevations.

Or it could be because this creek is regulated by several reservoirs upstream, where the Cottonwood Canyons don’t have reservoirs (or just small ones) in them.

Or maybe it’s just because all those seagulls have been extremely thirsty the last couple of days?

2 comments:

21 Wits said...

Oh yes, I'd stick with the seagull's being ever so helpful...!Glad to see it coming back to normal again....!

Max Sartin said...

Yeah, I really like the seagull theory too.