My little brother is the king of MacGyvering. A brace on my older brother’s snow blower broke one snowy day and we brought it over to my little brother’s house. It took about an hour and a half, small piece of metal, drilling and the Dremel, but he fashioned the perfect part. It would have cost $20 – $30 and probably would have had to wait for the part if we went to the snow blower dealer.
I’ve seen him pull this off on may things, and some of it must have rubbed off on me.
Today I totally pulled a MacGyver on my Mercury. The panel that holds the window and door lock controls was loose. The wide end, opposite the screw at the pointed end, wasn’t hooked in and was flopping around. Driving me nuts.
The little clips that held it tight had broken off. I tried gluing the one I found back on, but it popped off seconds after tightening down the screw. (Above: the clips on the passenger side, still in proper place).
I noticed that bolt that holds the switch in at the back of the panel. Rummaged through my junk drawers where have put every spare bolt, screw and fastener of any kind that I have had extra of, found laying on the ground or pulled off a car over the entire 20 years I’ve lived in this house. There I found this copper plumbing fastener (picture above).
I bolted it on, bent it to where I thought it should work and presto – worked perfect. Tight as it was when it came off the assembly line. And now, since the passenger side ones are a little loose, I know what to do when they pop off.