Saturday, February 26, 2011

Capitol Letters

I was up at the Utah State Capital this morning for a rally in support of the protesting Wisconsin workers.  It was a lot colder and snowier than it was just a year ago when I went up for the Utah Public Employees rally, when the state was talking about eliminating much of our retirement benefits.
So I went inside the building to warm myself up, and find a restroom, and along the way I found a lot of letters.  And, of course, I took pictures of them.  They are pretty much self explanatory, so here they are without captions, (there are 15 of them, so it may load slowly, but not as slowly as that post I had with 20 some-odd of them. And remember, you can always click on them to see them better): And one last one that I’m going to give you a link to, along with a warning that one of the signs a protestor is holding uses David Koch’s name in a fairly offensive (but, in my opinion, amusing) way.  Here’s the link, and don’t say I didn’t warn you.
More pictures of letters can be found on Carmi’s blog, Written Inc., by clicking the banner below.

7 comments:

21 Wits said...

This was great Max and they loaded up fast! I enjoyed seeing your day cuz other than the one with Utah in it, it felt like I was touring our great capital in St. Paul...they really do almost all look alike don't they?! The protestors looked cold and angry....maybe they'll have a better day tomorrow....fight for fun I say...life is too short...I know issues are important but...I just saying..... have a great weekend Max! hug the kitties!

carmilevy said...

Every last letter seems to have such gravity...almost like the very fact that they're attached to the very seat of power gives them a power all their own.

I hope this crisis works out for everyone involved. Watching the states turn their backs on agreements made long ago strikes me as unnecessarily cruel. It's almost as if there's no longer any honor in social contracts.

Alexia said...

Nice pun - and a fascinating selection of really interesting shots! If I had to pick a favourite, it would probably be the curly restroom signholder - it's lovely. The Path closed one made me laugh!

Max Sartin said...

Carmi - Don't get me started! Just about a year ago we had a rally up there because they were trying to abolish our pension system. This year they are talking about an 11% cut to education, and we're already lowest in the nation.
Karen - I Googled the St. Paul Capitol and didn't get any inside pictures, but it's not surprising that there are a lot of similarities. The kittens are doing great, Denny had a weepy eye for the first few days, but a friend said it could be caused by stress, and it cleared up completely before take him to the vet time. I think they're beginning to feel at home, they're not quite as clingy and meowy (is that a word?) as they were at first.

Max Sartin said...

Alexia - I laughed at the path closed one too. I also laughed at the sign that said STATE and UTAH in big bold letters with the OF that was smaller and looked like it was crammed in there later.

A Paperback Writer said...

You've been a busy boy today.
Of course, I couldn't go to a rally because I had academic team practice. I ALWAYS have academic team practice.

Max Sartin said...

Writer - LOL, but it probably was a lot warmer at the Funeral Home than out on the Capitol lawn. :)