Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Blue Sky Day

And it was another beautiful (although cold) blue sky day here in Salt Lake City. I have to say, that’s not too bad a picture for my little 4.1 megapixel point-and-shoot camera.  Unfortunately, I’ve been SLR-less for the last few days, and will be until Saturday.  See, my 5 (4?) year old Nikon D40X decided to, as they say in Chicken Run”, “go on holiday”.   As soon as I turn it on “Error, Press shutter release button again” pops up on the screen.  I press the shutter release button and the error goes away, until I let go.  Then it’s back.  I tried reattaching the lens, turning it off and on, finding “Reset” in the menu and then resetting several times and even removing the battery for 2 days to see if it would come back to life.  Nuttin’ honey.  She’s toast.  I probably could bring it in and see if they could fix it, and it could cost me anywhere from $40 to $800.  But, I’ve been eying this cute little Nikon D3100 since before Christmas and just couldn’t justify spending the $700 on it.  Well combine one dead digital SLR, the D3100 being on sale for $600 and the fact that I actually have been feeling anxiety not having a good camera, and voila, all the excuse I need to go get me one.  Ordered it just yesterday, I’ll be able to pick it up on Saturday.

So, you think I’m going to spend Sunday out taking pictures?  Nah.

6 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Yeah, it was GORGEOUS today.


And, like you've never taken a Sunday to shoot pics before.....

Alexia said...

Cool! New cute camera ... your shots will be even more spectacular! Can't wait to see the results!

21 Wits said...

So that's what an amazing sky looks like...THANKS!!! It's been too long....okay I'll share my grief with my camera talking back to me lately... with too many "OOOPs did somebody blink?" lol

Max Sartin said...

Writer - You know me too well. Doesn't even take a new camera for me to spend a day taking pictures.
Alexia - Why thanks, I hope the pictures I take with the new camera live up to my rep.
Karen - I hate it when the camera talks back. Almost as much as when the computer does, although that happens more often. Glad you liked the Utah sky. I'd send you some, but I'm not sure how I'd package it.

carmilevy said...

Great call on diving into the 3100. It lets you carry your glass forward, and philosophical similarity - menu structure, control layout, etc. - means less of a learning curve as you adapt to the new body.

That, and everything I've read about the 3100 suggests it's a phenomenal piece of engineering. You'll no doubt make it sing as you did your D40X - and, frankly, your point-and-shoot. I think you could coax greatness out of a box camera, too.

As I look at my just-turned-4 D80, I wonder if it'll reach a similar "holiday mode" soon. Sigh...it was different in the era of film, wasn't it? My 20-year-old F-801s body still works like the day I bought it.

Max Sartin said...

I still have my Nikon N2000 that I bought in the early 80's. Great camera. I would still be using it if the quality of digital cameras hadn't become so good, and if it weren't for the freedom afforded by digital. I experiment a lot more, since there is virtually no cost to take extra pictures. I also get immediate feedback, allowing me to adjust and try again.
But...as I'm going through all my negatives and scanning them for the computer, there's something about holding that slip of film in your hand, looking through it and trying to imagine what the photo will look like.