Friday, July 03, 2009

This is it.

.... I worked my last day at Granite High. I wasn't even supposed to work, but the district planned this big Open House there tonight, before the South Salt Lake did their fireworks display from the football field, as usual. So the principal called me earlier this week to see if I would be willing to work, patrolling halls or helping out selling memorabilia. I ended up selling the "Farmer Forever" Granite High t-shirts. From 2 to 8 tonight I sold over 900 t-shirts. It was insane. The halls were more packed than when school was in session, but I guess that's what you get when you close a school that has been open for 103 years.
.... Not only did I get paid at my regular rate, but we also got VIP seating for the fireworks. Which meant that we were directly under the fireworks when they went off. It was pretty cool, you could feel the explosions on your body. One of the drawbacks - falling debris. Nothing that was burning hit anyone, and mostly they were ashes or smaller than a dime. But we did have one firey misfire crash into the lawn about 10 yards away from us. Yeah, fun stuff.
post signature

6 comments:

Jannx said...

An interesting end to your school year. Congratulations on the 900 sold T-shirts.

Max Sartin said...

Thanks. It was kind of fun, seeing all those alumni from the school. I heard some interesting stories from people who graduated as far back as '39. And ran into some students that graduated as recently as 2009. All in all, a good night.

A Paperback Writer said...

I saw the fireworks as I was driving home along State St. from the Desert Star Playhouse. It was a good display.

A Paperback Writer said...

Oh, and I'm not surprised that no one took the copier. No one would take ours, either, if our school were to shut its doors.

Max Sartin said...

You do have to give them a little credit, those poor machines get used, abused and then used again.

A Paperback Writer said...

Indeed, I'm sure that the copy machines in Kinko's have less wear and tear on them in the average year than school copiers do.