Monday, July 13, 2009

A tale of two Routers.

.... I went down to Best Buy and got a new version of the old router I used to have. There were several to choose from, but I figured since I knew that brand, I'd stick with it. Yeah. Considering the troubles I've had with the old one (all the memories came back as I was cursing at the new one), I should have known better. The software saw that it was there, recognized it but just didn't want to configure it for me. An hour later, and several thousand uses of the 7 words you can't say on TV*, I decided to just bring it back and get the other one I was looking at. Got the new one home, put in the disk, started up the wizard and was told SUCKER!, I don't work on Vista 64 bit, HAHA. Ok, not exactly in those words, but you get the idea. Just before I threw my drink into the computer, I noticed it listed a Manual Installation. I figured it couldn't hurt to spend another half hour trying to manually configure it before I destroyed a couple thousand dollars of computer equipment. I was pleasantly surprised. Netgear's manual installation was a whole lot easier, and effective, than LinkSys's Installation Wizard.

.... I turned off everything like it said. I hooked up all the network cables, like it said. Turned on the modem and waited 2 minutes, like it said. Plugged in the router and waited a minute, like it said. Turned on the computer. And it worked. Both computers can get on the internet, I can get my email and (hopefully) once the domain name server catches up to the IP address change, srossi.net will be back and so will all the pictures on the blog. (Oh, if you see the pictures here, then all is already well.)

.... Your patience in these times is appreciated.


post signature


*George Carlin; 1972; monologue "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television"

3 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

You know, I started to tense up just reading that post.
Ugh.
This sort of thing just really kills that theory about technology simplifying our lives....

Jannx said...

Hello Max. I'm sorry to say I have no idea what any of this met, but you sounded happy so it must be a good thing. Congratulations on being able to fix what was broken.

Max Sartin said...

Writer - as you said, technology has not simplified our lives. It's simply changed the way we receive our frustration and stress.
Jannx - On the flip side of what I said above - it's really a good feeling when you finally get the thing working.