Friday, July 17, 2009

Golf

.... 11:00 tee time. My older brother, my younger brother and I tee off. I actually enjoyed it more than I expected. There were a couple of times I got frustrated and just wanted to go home, but only a couple. And, ironically, they weren't the times I dumped it in the water or sand traps. It was when I was trying to get a little lift on the ball so it would actually fly a little way, but instead it just rolled a few yards across the lawn. The first hole was great. One brother sliced it over to the right, the other hit it to the left and mine, yes mine, went straight down the fairway. Where it's supposed to go. Oh, not as far as it should have gone, but definitely in the right direction. Actually, for the most part, I did pretty good on direction. I just had no distance. For the most part. On the second (maybe it was the third) hole I hit my first official ball in the sandtrap. Since the set of clubs I borrowed didn't have a sand wedge (that's the club you use to get out of the sand trap) I asked my brother if he had a sand wedge I could use. His response? "I brought a bunch of water, but I didn't bring any sandwedges to eat." Funny guy. Somewhere around the 5th hole I dunked my ball in the water. This was just a shallow stream that we had to get the ball over, and I didn't. No big deal, at least I got it back. Unlike the one that went into the pond a couple holes later. Completely lost. But that's ok, my little brother found 3 or 4 balls when he had to go searching for his a few times. On the 8th hole I thought I had lost another ball into the pond, headed straight over there and out of sight. But you gotta go check just to make sure, and there it was, caught in a weed right on the side of the pond. A really, really prickley weed. I would have preferred wading through a foot of water rather than get my hand jabbed the 3 or 4 times by that stupid plant.
.... Anyways, par for the course, which is the expected score, is 36. I scored 72. My brother's response; "Not a bad score ... for 18 holes." We only golfed 9. But, considering it was my very first time, and since they, who are semi-regular, scored a 52 and 56, I'm not embarassed by it. And, as always with my brothers, I had a really good time.

post signature

7 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

As you know, when I was a kid, I lived on the edge of a golf course. Many a happy hour was spent finding lost balls in the rough, putting small rocks in the ball washers (the junior high teacher in me giggles at that term), and playing in the sand traps after hours (yeah, we raked everything out again afterwards).
That's the best I can say for golf.
But I"m glad you had a good time.

Max Sartin said...

I lived by that same golf course when I was in high school. My sister used to love to yell out the window "can I carry your balls for you?" and then duck leaving just me driving the car for them to see. Yeah, fun stuff.

Jo said...

What? I was anxiously waiting for the pics of the drunk driving in the golf cart! What's with the actual golf pics and nature crap. :)

Max Sartin said...

Sorry, it's hard to get pictures with the steering wheel in one hand and a beer in the other.

Your Conscience said...

------------------------------------
Your Conscience responds: It's clear to anyone that you're trying to tap your bladder. Your Conscience finds the way you hide your taking a leak quite masterful... The slight-of-hand must be hard to master, especially when working with so small a coin...
-----------------------------------

Max Sartin said...

Funny guy, YC. Funny guy.

Your Conscience said...

-----------------------------------
Thank you, Rossi. Write what you want, at least Your Conscience avoided the obvious cup-and-ball joke...
------------------------------------