Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Moving day

Well, it's official.  I've moved into my new classroom out at the Jr. High that rhymes with schmeisenhower.  I had to borrow The Gearhead's truck to get my desk out there (you'll see the thing I would have been stuck with if I hadn't brought my old desk with me), and although it wasn't blocked, they had parked their Jeep pretty close to the side of the truck, I had to squeeze it out.  I backed it back in when I returned it, and in being careful not to hit the Jeep, I got it a lot closer to the fence, and more into the bushes, than it was before.  I thought about calling them, but decided I wanted to see if they would notice that the Jeep wasn't as close to the truck as it was when they left. (Didja notice?, and thanks for the use of the truck).  Here's some pictures, I didn't get a picture of my desk there, but I'll post one later.
This is the teacher's desk they had in the room.
There was also this one, which has no drawers.  It's also kind of old, since it was surplus from Mountain Bell.  That was the name of the phone company in Utah before the big AT&T breakup.  Which means the school got is some 20 years ago, and at the time it was old enough for the phone company to want to get rid of it.
This is looking from where my desk is towards the front of the room.  My room and the room next door are actually one huge room that is split in two by that big accordian wall.
A window.  My room has a window!  Which is why I'm willing to put up with the accordian wall.  The school was built when "open classrooms" were all the rage.  That meant that the building was one huge room and that the classrooms were seperated by nothing more than bookcases and blackboards.  Surprisingly, that didn't work too well, so they ended up building walls to break up the area into real classrooms.  That left very few classrooms with windows.
This is looking from the front of the room by the accordian wall out towards the door, which is another perk because it's right by an outside door.  Which means I can sneak out early without the principal knowing.
 
post signature

16 comments:

Jannx said...

A very nice summary of your new classroom. The photos were an enjoyable touch. Thanks for sharing.

Thank goodness open classrooms were just a fad. I like having my own walls and space. The couple of opened classrooms I subbed for added unnecessary stress in trying to keep the class on your side of the divider from making too much noise.

Max Sartin said...

Yeah, I substituted a couple of times in an open classroom situation and wondered how anyone who had ever taught could have thought that was a good idea.

The Gearheads said...

Hmmm... Hadn't even noticed it moved. When I went out after reading your message the only thing I saw that could have clued me about it was that the slider was open. It was a little further away from the Jeep, but not enough to notice.

Jannx said...

My thoughts exactly!!!

Max Sartin said...

Dang, next time I'll have to hit the Jeep, maybe THAT you would have noticed.

See to the Aye said...

So I'm assuming you're going back to teaching math?

The Gearheads said...

I would prefer you didn't... And remember, payback would be easy, you have a small difficult drive and some big cars... "OOOPS, sorry about old blue.." :)

A Paperback Writer said...

Thank heaven my classroom moving adventure was over in June, considering all the other crap I'm dealing with right now....
Open classrooms: an educational idea dreamed up by some grad student who hadn't been in a classroom in over a decade.
I'm glad you're in a school in a good location, with a principal you like, and I hope you like the faculty too. But I hate that building. It's a rabbit warren. Yes, you'll deal with it just fine, but it's still a horrible building. (And you know the building I'm in has a weird enough floorplan, with attachments of different ages that lead to such confusing items as: we have rooms 1, S-1, and R-1, the relos are now numbered R-1, R-2, R-4, and R-5, there is no room 10, room 9 is on the mezzanine in the auditorium, and the main hall has room 42 next door to room 25. Even with all that, the building you're in now is far worse.)

Max Sartin said...

Chris - yup, back to nothing but math. No more STS and no more psychology.
Gearhead - Like I'd actually hit your car on purpose. You know I have too much respect for cars.
Writer - no kidding. I student taught at the school and got lost and confused in the maze on several occasions. A-hall, B-hall, gotta go through the library to get to the C-hall, the basement too. Bleah. But my room is right up front, easy to find and since it's right by an outside door, easy to find your way out of.

jmpnmark said...

I seem to remember you hitting the Gearhead's car on purpose before! Then we'd all get out of the cars and scream at each other.

Good times those...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tour! Now I know where to go if I ever feel the need to bug you again.

Oh, I agree that your desk is so much better then the ones they gave you. I'm glad you took it!
-FT

Max Sartin said...

FT - no problem. You know you're welcome to visit anytime. Except in the middle of 2nd period.
jmpnmark - ahhh, memories. those were good days, and the female half of The Gearheads could swear like a drunken sailor. (Like the rest of us).

Anonymous said...

Why not 2nd period? What is 2nd period? hmmm... What time does it start again?
-FT

Max Sartin said...

FT - I dunno. It was just one of my usual random comments.

Unknown said...

I laughed when I saw the photographs of your desk/s and the classroom. I really needed the laugh. My classroom stuff in all in my house making it impossible to wash the windows because I cannot get near the walls.

Max Sartin said...

You could always come over to my house if you really need to clean some windows. There's nothing blocking them. :)