Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Man, how I love snow.

It was raining when I got out of school around 3:30.  By about 6:00 it was snowing heavily and the satellite dish was covered enough that the Chevron credit card system was down.  It still amazes me how irate people can get when weather causes them inconveniences, and how, as the guy behind the register, I’m expected to DO something about it.  When we told one guy that the credit card system was down and that we could only take cash for his gas, he actually asked “If I buy something with my debit card, can I get cash back for the gas?”   Um, if I could take a debit card for a Twinkie, I could take a debit card for gas too.

See, the satellite is supposed to have a system that melts off the snow so this doesn’t happen.  But, since it still does, and did, I got to run up on the roof of the building and clear it off by hand.  Once at around 6:00 and again around 7:30.  I stuck around until 9:00, when I’m scheduled to leave, and just before I left the close guy went up and cleaned it off a third time.  After that, with only one person in the store, if it went down it stayed down. 

On the good side of things, I had a customer come in with 2/3 of a 24 pack of locally brewed beer, told me that they were getting on a plane tonight, didn’t want it and asked me if I did.  Uh, yeah!  (You gotta click on the picture and read the tag line at the bottom of the Polygamy Porter emblem.)

I got home, shoveled the sidewalk, went to bed, woke up and shoveled another 4” off the walk again.  Even at 6:30 in the morning it was warm enough that after shoveling the sidewalk was nothing but wet, and by the time I got home tonight, despite the 5” of snow on the yard, the streets and sidewalks were dry.

And, finally, I got this in the mail today:

I haven’t been called for Jury duty since I was in my 20’s, and even then I was bummed that I never got placed on one.  I showed up, waited, waited, waited, went through the question-answer part twice and was let go both times.  Unlike a lot of people I know, I think it would be fascinating to end up on a jury, and so here’s my second chance.   Wish me luck.

2 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

I had to shovel 10 inches of snow this morning. It took me almost 40 minutes. But just down the street from both of us, they were getting up to 16 inches! Happy spring. Of course, spring snow doesn't freeze up and turn into huge glaciers that dig chunks out of the underside of your car when you bump into them; it just slushes away.
Polygamy Porter amuses me too, and I'm a teetotaler, as you know. (But the wrong punctuation on the label bugs me.)
I've been called for jury duty twice, but they've never picked me.

Max Sartin said...

I just got the email confirmation that I have been given the status of "Qualified". This just means that I'm put in the queue, I'll be notified by mail if I need to do anything. I talked to the principal and found out that if I do get called in for jury duty I won't lose any pay. I do have to sign over the $18.50 a day I get paid from the courts though.