Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I’m older than you think…

Petroglyphs don’t lie, and here’s one that looks like me.  At least according to the writing that accompanies it. It seems it was found in an obscure corner of Newspaper Rock, one that is really hard to see from the viewing area allotted to visitors.  The picture was taken by a parent of one of my students, who was a Ranger down at the monument for a couple of years.  The kid just transferred to our school a week or so ago, and her parent’s were shocked when the heard their daughter’s math teacher’s name.  They immediately started scanning their old photos until they finally found it and gave it to her to bring to school.
(Anyone buying this yet?  No?  If I B.S. some more will it help?  No?  Ok, so I fooled nobody.)
What is amazing is how much pencil on black Formica tables looks like a petroglyph when you just colorize it a nice burnt red color.  I found this on one of the front tables, you would think that black tables would discourage their artwork, but seems not.  Which is ok with me, pencil is easy to clean up and I’ve got a few good pictures out of it.  Some of them I won’t share here, but I did share with the administration.
Click here if you want to see what the original picture looks like.

8 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Well, at least the "artist" drew you clothed....
Kokopeli often isn't, as I'm sure you recall.

Max Sartin said...

Yikes, that would have been a little creepy. And yes, I am glad they didn't.

A Paperback Writer said...

On a similar thematic note....
I was printing an article on Sego, Utah, for Dad, since he has to be a tourguide there for a group making the trek in month or so, and I found that the boarding house has collapsed now. Good thing we got all those photos when we did.

carmilevy said...

I'll never understand what compels anyone to scrawl things like this in places they shouldn't. It's the kind of thing that's always been so out of bounds for me.

I guess that makes me a prude. So be it.

21 Wits said...

Call me an optimist but, I'm not convinced that this is you Max....I mean in real life you have way more hair then this little guy.

Max Sartin said...

Karen - I'd agree, except that they scrawled my name right next to the picture. Great artists they are not.

21 Wits said...

ah do I sense the creative great (MAX) thinking mind at play here and perhaps in his bag of tricks he/you will discover something to help this sad artist with his cry for help...(I always hate how there are people who think hurting or making fun of someone is funny) I never have gotten that....there is a 300 or more year old story told somewhere by a Kabbalah teacher that teaches about the power of words (oh yes) and pictures would so be included! This is a so important lesson......It's like once my youngest was a part of 7 or 8 bullies against one small lad and they possibly caused his nose to bleed...after watching from the window I came over to the snow bank and my son and this crying little sweet (poorer and fatherless boy) that all the kids had made fun of came inside with me and Danny to clean his face and have a treat...funny thing....the boy after that was best of buds to all the horribly cruel kids...why must some kids always pick on one?

21 Wits said...

Oh Max I just had a fantastic idea! For the class where this thing was created. Push all the table desks to the back of the room forcing the entire class to sit (exposed, forced to sit and not lean) for a written test or something where they really need/miss their desk for the entire class time!!!