Thursday, January 13, 2011

Far out, man.

Janine and I went to high school together, and one evening we went out to dinner and brought my little brother along.  We were about 17, he was 11, and she enjoyed the little family scene so much that in my senior yearbook she wrote “When are we going to legalize it?  We can also adopt [little brother]? Kay, sweetie?

She has lived most of her adult life in Texas, but seems to come back to Utah to live (for a year or so) about every 5 years.  When she’s here we get together, these photos are from a visit in 2003.  We went down to the local planetarium, which has these areas made up so that you can stand in them and look like you are standing on either the moon or Mars.  I picked them first for this week because I figured “what’s further away from home than either of those places?

So, here we are, standing on the moon with a half-Earth in the sky and an astronaut looking for the keys to the spaceship. Here I am on Mars.  Holding my breath of course, because there’s no air on the planet anymore.  Just don’t ask why I could breathe on the moon, but not on Mars. This week’s theme on Carmi’s Thematic Photographic is “Far from home”.  Click on the banner below if you are in the mood to see some really interesting photos from a whole bunch of cool people all around this planet.  And if you have a good “Far from home” picture, be sure to join in the fun.

10 comments:

21 Wits said...

Now I ask how long could you hold your breath? Very nice visit for the two of you....isn't it just the best to catch up with old friends?! Nice very, very far from home photos! It's not everyday you get to go to the moon either! Very far out!

A Paperback Writer said...

Mars looks a heck of a lot like southern Utah, doesn't it?

carmilevy said...

I love your planetarium already: what a great idea to have areas like these!

You've painted so many levels of "far from home" that I'm having trouble keeping track. As ever, I really dig your view of the world.

Max Sartin said...

Karen - Well, at least until the commuter train showed up.
Writer - Yeah, but you can tell it isn't because I'm holding my breath.

Max Sartin said...

Carmi - Thanks :)

Alexia said...

Haha - seeing some great pictures AND getting a laugh out of it! Bonus!
Thanks PBW.

Alexia said...

OOPS sorry Max - I'd just read her post. You two don't even look alike - how could I make such a silly mistake?

Max Sartin said...

Alexia - no problem, I'm used to being mistaken for other teachers. But just to be clear, that isn't PBW in the picture with me, although she did go to the same high school. Just about 6 years later than I did.

PastormacsAnn said...

Doesn't get much farther away from home than outerspace. ;-) Nice to have longstanding friendships that last.

Max Sartin said...

I'm pretty lucky in that respect. I don't get together with them every day, or even every month, but both Janine and my best friend, Ed, still contact me whenever they are in town and we get together. It's really nice.