Monday, July 04, 2011

Ting, ting.

For quite some time something’s been loose on Old Blue.  When driving at low speeds there was almost a constant “ting, clink, ting, clink” coming from the front end.  And it was obvious it wasn’t a single source.  I’ve been trying to track it down for a year now, and back in April I put $2,000 into the front end hoping to fix the problem.  No such luck. (The 2 grand in work needed to be done anyway, so at least it wasn’t a waste of money.)

The other day my little brother, Mr. Gearhead, says to me “It sounds like those little center things in your hubcaps are banging around.”

No way.  I couldn’t accept that the solution could be that easy, but 9 times out of 10 he’s right on, or real close, so I decided to test the theory and take all 4 hubcaps off.

Guess what?  [ Yeah, you probably can, since I wouldn’t be writing this post if it didn’t work. ]. It worked.  Not a ting or a clink since I took them off.  I’m not going to leave them off, the car doesn’t look as classy without them, but I am going to figure a way to tighten down those centerpieces.

Sometimes the simplest things can be what’s driving you nuts.

2 comments:

A Paperback Writer Photos said...

Don't you just love it when the answer's that simple?

Max Sartin said...

Oh yes. Much better than the broken bolt in Big Green that ought to be simple, but is turning out not to be.