Thursday, July 07, 2011

‘bout time!

I have no idea how many years it’s been since I’ve cleaned out my closet, but I figured it was about time.   One of the problems with living alone in a house with a 12 foot (4m) long walk-in closet is that it is real easy to not throw anything away.  After all, I just may need that pair of shredded, stained, glue encrusted blue jeans for the next time I want to tar the roof of the back porch.

Well, today I had three rules to what I kept:

  1. I can and will wear it to school next year.
  2. It has some real sentimental value. Such as it’s from one of the schools I worked at, from either Free Wheeler Pizza or Chevron or a gift from one of my siblings.
  3. 3 shirts, 3 pants for working around the house.

Here’s an idea of how much stuff I accumulated, and decided to get rid of, in the last decade:

Those are the hangers from everything I either threw away or will be giving to the D.I. (click link if you don’t know what the D.I. is, which is very likely if you don’t live in Utah).

I now have about 16 washer loads of stuff to clean, stuff that has been sitting on the shelf of the closet (or on the floor).   I’m going to try, knock on wood, cross your fingers, to keep things organized for at least a little while.

Wish me luck.

8 comments:

Alexia said...

I am in awe of your resolve and focus. Good job!!

Do you feel lighter in spirit? De-cluttering one's life is supposed to be good for one...

The English Teacher said...

Oh my.
I sympathize. I cleaned out the boxes underneath the table where I fold clothes in my basement laundry room -- and found a box of stuff I put there when I moved to Scotland in 2004. Oops. Hey, but it did clear up the mystery of whatever happened to those newspaper photos of me dancing that I used to have up on a bulletin board in my room at school.
As for throwing out clothes I no longer wear, well, I keep hoping that ONE day I'll fit into some of them again..... and if I give them to the DI, then I'm admitting how fat I've actually gotten.....

Max Sartin said...

Alexia - It's so nice to look into the closet and be able to know where everything is. Now i just have to go through all the stuff on the bedroom floor and decide what to do with all that.
ET - I still have boxes in the garage that I haven't unpacked since I attempted to move to Vegas in 2001 (right before coming to your school).

Kyutipie_Misay said...

:)that is really nice! I cleaned my closet too and gave away all my nice small clothes to my younger cousin (two of them) hehe. They both loved it.. so i have lot of space on my closet now :D where i can put some of my bags too :D well you inspire me haha!! doing that lol

Max Sartin said...

Michelle - thanks for dropping by, and I'm glad I inspired you!

21 Wits said...

Doesn't it feel really good to see the after picture? Makes you wonder, what more can I do.....!!!

Jannx said...

Hello Max. Congratulations on the clean closet. Yes, I wish you the best of luck with keeping it that way.

Oh and thanks for the link to D.I. I never would have guessed. Salvation Army, or Goodwill were the only two names that came to mind with my mentioned donating clothes.

Max Sartin said...

Jannx - Thanks, and hopefully it will stay (relatively) clean.
I figured there would be a lot of people who had never heard of the D.I. - it's a very Utah thing because of it's direct connection with the LDS Church.