Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Old people don’t have friends.

I was walking down the hall with a student of mine when another teacher passed and I waved and said “Hi”.  The student said “You can’t do that, old people don’t say “Hi” in the halls.”  A few feet later one of her friends passes and she waved and said “Hi”.  I asked how come she can say “Hi” and I can’t.  This is when she informed me “Old people don’t have friends, they’re supposed to spend all their attention on their jobs!”  I didn’t know whether to laugh or to cry.

I laughed.

3 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

In students' minds, we also do not exist outside of school. We hang in our closets like bats and come out each morning. This is why they are always surprised when they see us at a store or a theatre or something. How can we be outside of school????

See to the Aye said...

Awesome! Now I have an excuse when I'm older!

Oh wait...

I'm just gonna go... I was cutting onions... for a lasagna... for one.

Max Sartin said...

Oh yeah, I remember the first time a group of kids saw me and another teacher in the movies. We truly have no right to have a life outside school.