Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What did I do today?

Other than lay around and watch SG1?
First I finished putting in the bedroom windows.  The two windows I did today took about 3 hours to complete, about the same time as the first one took.  I learned a lot from that first one.
I still have to do the trim on the inside, but I want to let the caulking cure for a few days before I do that.  I also have to figure out how to do the trim since the windows don't fit quite the same as the old ones.
Then I started to refinish my school desk.  If you missed me mentioning it before, or maybe I didn't, one of the nice things about leaving a school that is closing down is that you get to take a bunch of stuff with you that normally would stay at the school.  Like my desk.  It's a really nice old wooden desk, built back when they were built to last.  6 drawers all together, and they even lock, all but one.  The finish is a little worn down by some 50+ years of classroom exposure, so I decided to re do it.  I got about 3/4 of the way through the sanding when I realized it's 10:00pm on a weeknight and the noise was probably annoying neighbors who have to get up for work in the morning.
post signature

10 comments:

Jannx said...

You are a very considerate neighbor. You mentioned the good in having a school close down, but you also forgot to mention the benefit of having your own house. I don't think too many apartment renters would have brought home their desk even if they wanted to.

"Space is the final frontier".

Jo said...

How in the world did you get it to the house? Is it going in your study, or to your new school? :) What else did you steal? :)

Max Sartin said...

Jannx - About 5 years ago I was out working in my garage in the middle of the night one summer. I'm hammering away and during a quiet moment I hear someone yell from the apartment complex next door "Would you quiet down!" I looked at my clock - it was 2:30am on a weekday. Ever since then I've tried to be careful. And you're right about having my own home, with my own garage. A very convenient place to work on it.

Max Sartin said...

J - I strapped it to the roof of my Subaru. Actually I borrowed my brother's pickup, that old 68 Ford I used to own. Right now the desk in in my garage, with all the other stuff I "stole" from the school. (If you want a full list of all the things I transferred over to my new school, you can see the official document here: http://www.srossi.net/2009/06/transfers.gif) I'll have to borrow the truck again to move it out to the school when I'm done refinishing it.

A Paperback Writer said...

If you want to sand (preferrably with power tools) at any time of day or night when my evil neighbors are home, please feel free to c'mon over. I'll be happy to loan you power cords and sweep up the dust afterwards. The west side of my house is right under their bedroom window. it'd be perfect.
(sigh. I can dream, can't I?)

Max Sartin said...

Writer - oh yeah, power tools of course. Noisy power tools. Maybe I'll just come up and pretend to work on something there - too hard to drag the desk back and forth between houses.

A Paperback Writer said...

Hey, you wanna sand spare boards at 2:00 AM? We're good. c'mon over.

Max Sartin said...

Can I play my music at full blast also?

A Paperback Writer said...

Yes, particularly if it's something really horrible, like rap or Barry Manilow's complete collection, or Willie Nelson and Julio Iglesias singing "To All The Girls I've Loved Before."

Max Sartin said...

I was thinking Country-Western classics like "Put another log on teh fire" and "Drop-kick me Jesus through the goal posts of life." But then again, that they might like...