Wednesday, December 26, 2007

On the 6th day of Christmas

that my district gave to me:
(halfway through now)
  1. Didn't do a whole heck of a lot today. Woke up, watched some TV and then brought the Subaru in for it's 45,000 mile checkup. And only 6,000 miles late. But they gave it a once over and a clean bill of health. They did warn me that I'm going to need new tires on the front in a while.
  2. Did some major shopping at the Wal*Mart. Spent about $180 on food, 7th season of CSI, last good season of Roseanne and some other basic household necessities. Must have saved at least $20 over going to Smiths or Shopko. Not worth it for twice (or even quadruple) the savings. Wal*Martians (as Adele, who works in the pharmacy at one, calls them) are a special breed. It's something at the check-out lines. Nothing outrageously absurd until I got to the checkout. There I got bitched out by a guy who was at least 10 feet behind the line for cutting in on him, had a swarm of kids from the family behind me crowd my cart and scrutinize my purchases, and then as I was checking out, before the cashier could give me my receipt some other guy pushes his way to the checkout with "only 2 things". Next time I'll just go to Albertsons, it's closer too.
  3. Layed on the couch and started watching season 7 of CSI.

6 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Hey! I took my car into Jiffy Lube yesterday for a check up, too!
Oooh. Excitement.

Max Sartin said...

Whoa! That's way too coincidental!

Max Sartin said...

Ok, that reads as way more sarcastic than I meant it to.....

A Paperback Writer said...

It's okay. I can handle sarcasm.
Yesterday I had to call MacDocs, where I'd purchased my parents' computer, because I'd had no clue that Macs no longer come with Appleworks or anything wordprocessing. During the call, I was asked by (I assume) a manager which employee had neglected to tell me I'd need to buy iWorks, and I gave two names, Ben (who'd helped the most) and Steve (who'd made the final sale when Ben was out with a back injury).
Later, I got thinking about it and wished I hadn't given names because Ben had answered something like 9 million questions during my several trips to the store (I'd sounded like an insecure 7th grader a couple of times), and it wasn't fair for him to get a negative report when he'd done so much right. So I called the store again and got Steve instead of the manager-guy. I told Steve what'd happened and that I felt bad. Steve's response was "Don't worry about it; they've just got Ben down in the basement right now for 30 lashes because we don't do psychological scarring here."
Now, this is the kind of comment we make every day in the school system, but I was a little surprised to hear it coming from a retailer (amused, but surprised) -- especially over the phone when the conversation had been very serious.
Maybe it was just because his name was Steve.....

Max Sartin said...

Now that's a response I can respect. Makes me wish I had the money to buy a Mac, so I could tell why I choose their store. Yeah, gonna have to go there....

A Paperback Writer said...

Good store. All kinds of fun little toys....