Friday, November 28, 2008

Scenes from FrontRunner

I rode the FrontRunner up to Ogden today, I give it a 2 thumbs up.  I wish I'd actually timed it, but I'd bet it doesn't take as much time as driving, especially if it were during rush hour.  And it rides a lot smoother than Trax, I didn't realize how fast we were going until I noticed the freeway right next to me and we were keeping pace with some of the faster cars.  Clean, comfortable, smooth ride and an onboard bathroom to boot.  All in all, if I lived in Davis or Weber counties and worked downtown, or somewhere close to a Trax line, I'd take it rather than fight rush hour traffic.  Hands down. 

For those of you unfamiliar with Utah, over half the population of the state lives in a straight line up and down the Wasatch Front (the green area on the map), about 70 miles from Ogden to Provo.  For years people have argued that we are perfectly set up for a single commuter rail line straight up and down the front, from Provo to Ogden (the 2 large population centers at the top and bottom of the front).  Last year the Utah Transit Authority finally opened the north line from Saly Lake to Ogden.  Good timing too, because it caught the high gas prices and ridership exceeded expectations.  I don't know if it remains higher than expected, but from what I saw it was getting used (and I was home by 5:30). 
post signature

No comments: