Sunday, February 05, 2012

Screens

So, I struggled over what to do for this theme.  I finally remembered a picture (I thought) I took back at my first school, of me and my Stage Crew playing video games on the auditorium’s big screen.  I couldn’t find the picture but along the way I found this of one of our first computer labs at the school.

And was amused at the difference with the computer screens in this picture of my current keyboarding lab.

Back in 1999, that computer lab was in the basement, an old storage room that was retro-fitted and, as you can see, strung with wires and cables all over the place.  Damp and dingy, you and your class had to trek through half the school to get there.

The room I’m in now was always intended to be a computer lab.  The power and network wiring plug right into the walls, and the tables are designed so the wiring comes right down the middle, safe and secure above the floor, but off the tables themselves.  And, like all 5 of our computer labs, they are right in the heart of the classrooms.

Not that I need to point this out to anyone on the blogosphere, but we’ve come a long way in the last decade.

For more “screens” pictures, click on the banner below.

8 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Wow. Those white boxes look old, don't they?
Great take on this theme.

Max Sartin said...

Lisa - You didn't waste much time there. I just got done reading and revising the post and went straight to check my email and your comment was already there!
Funny thing is that most of my students now have never even seen one of those monitors, except in pictures.

Lisa Shafer said...

Yeah, I noticed the post said it had been published "2 minutes ago" when it showed up on my blogger dashboard, and I wanted to see what you'd done with this theme, so I zipped right over.

21 Wits said...

I find it really amusing that every boy in the first photo were either waving to the photographer (you?) or watching anyway...while the two girls chatting away like all girls do....completely acted as though no one was taking their picture....and your screens or monitors are priceless, so much so, (ha ha) we have a few of them in places yet.... not in use...but they're here!!!

Max Sartin said...

Yeah, it was me taking the picture, and thanks for the laugh. I didn't even notice that about the boys and the girls. Quite observant.

21 Wits said...

I think it's a girl thing...we have to pretend we don't care.....or notice the boys.... even though we all know that's a farce right! ha ha!

Morgan'sRevenge said...

They have never seen a CRT monitor before? What is the world coming to...Interesting shots!

Max Sartin said...

Thanks, glad you liked the shots. Keep in mind that my oldest student is probably 14 years old, and all middle- to upper-income, so their families have probably kept up with the more current computers all their lives.