Saturday, June 15, 2013

Visit to the Salt Lake Cemetery

My friend Lisa and I went up to the Salt Lake Cemetery yesterday, just to get out of our respective houses, into the sun and take some pictures.  It was the perfect day for this, sunny and warm, but cool enough that we weren’t sweating as we wandered around.

I couldn’t tell if this was an actual piece of petrified wood, or if the stonemason did an awesome job of recreating it, but it was a cool looking headstone.

I really liked this simple, but beautiful, natural looking headstone.

Just a bunch of graves.

This was an interestingly shaped headstone.

Emo’s Tomb.  Long before “emo” was a clique moniker, back when I was in high school we had the urban legend of Emo’s Tomb.  Legend has it that if you go up to the tomb on Halloween night, say “Emo” three times as you turn around three times, a face will appear in the window of the door.  I’ve gone up many times, with many different sets of friends, and not one of us ever finished the ritual.  Not that we believe the legend or anything.

As Lisa put it, the “the tombstone graveyard”. 

This picture of the tombstone graveyard creeped me out when I first saw it full sized.  A little arm and hand caught my eye, and before it could register as part of one of the tombstones, my mind saw it as real.  I’ve been watching too much “Criminal Minds” lately.

Side view of some headstones.

This was a really interesting one.  There was no indication of the meaning of the statue for this young man, he was in his early 20’s. 

I’m not sure if their tree trimmer is just really short or if this is the look they are going for, but it seems as if they gave up halfway up these trees.

Watering the entrance to the Iron Worker’s section of the cemetery.

Yet another baffling fixture in the cemetery.  It didn’t seem to be specific to any one person, and had obviously been used to burn something at some time.  What and why, I have no idea.

Probably the most colorful headstone in the cemetery.  Very beautiful.

I thought this one was really cool too, a monument to the people who donated their bodies to medical science.

And finally, watering, in the middle of the day.  It is nice how well kept the grounds are, but it’s a lot more efficient to do the watering in the early morning or late evening, when less will evaporate before even hitting the ground.

2 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

A very nice recap, but you didn't put in a pic of my favorite one. Ah well. Perhaps it's best, so that we don't insult the guy's name.
I am in great hopes that someone will give us some insight regarding the Chinese areas with the monuments suitable for burning something larger than incense. I am curious.

Lois Lane said...

I found your blog post while I was looking for unique headstones in the cemetery to go look for. (I love hanging out in cemeteries--peaceful and fascinating.) Anyway, when I saw the random headstones, I called it the graveyard of headstones. Clearly not alone in thinking that. :) Also, the "odd fixture" is a little furnace. It's a Chinese custom to burn some hair or clothing of the deceased. (Or something like that.)