Saturday, June 02, 2012

Stupid is as Stupid does.

It never ceases to amaze me that some drivers think that every foot closer that they are to my back bumper is going to make their trip that much shorter.

And it amazes me even more when the stupid driver is in a little Toyota Camry and they are tailgating my 1972 Ford LTD.

 

 

 

 

I was driving down 3900 South and this Camry was riding my ass like we were best friends.  More than best friends.  And it’s not like I’m a slow driver, I was already going 40 in a 35MPH zone.

So I slow down.  I figure that if you are supposed to keep 1 car length between cars for each 10 MPH of speed, the closer they get the slower I go.

She didn’t get the hint.  Instead she gets closer, and starts mouthing things that I’m sure were not nice.

So I tap the brakes, a visual signal that most people take as saying “Uh, a little close, aren’t you.”

Instead this dumbass takes it as daring her to get even closer.  So I tap the brakes again.  Instead of taking it as meaning that I would just like her to follow at a safe distance, it becomes a challenge.

So I come to a complete stop in the middle of 39th South and then stomp on the gas and put a good distance between us even before she realizes I’m moving again.

She catches up to me as I’m going straight through the light at Highland Drive and flips me the bird as she turns right.  I just wave and keep going.

See, I know from experience that if I had needed to stop quickly and if she had rear ended me, her car would have been a lot worse off than mine.  Not to mention that, legally, it would have been her fault.

Dumbass could have simply left a reasonable amount of room between her car and mine.

No comments: