Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Journey around my classroom, an idea stolen from another blogger.

Alexia, of Dreaming of Open Seas, did a post that (as you should be able to guess) shows off her classroom.  I commented on how cool I thought that was, and asked if I could copy her.  So, with her permission, here is my “journey around my classroom”.
The view as you enter the front door of my classroom. As you can see, I do have a lot of storage area, and all but one of the closets in the back is lockable:
Yes, I have two doors.  The room used to be a science classroom, which is why I have sinks and an eye washing station.  It’s not too interesting from the inside, but I did spruce it up for the view from the outside.  (The writing on the picture is photoshopped in, but very closely resembles what I have written on the actual door, and remember, click on the picture to enlarge):
My desk area.  <sarcasm font>Neat, clean and organized, as always</sarcasm font>:
From the back of the room.  The board at the front is not a whiteboard, it is actually a cork board, painted white:
There’s my only white board, on an alcove at the side of the room:
Which works fine for me, thanks to this little thing.  It’s is a wireless writing board, that comes with a program that imitates a whiteboard on the computer screen:
Here is the big screen that the computer projects onto, making it easy for the students to see:
Yes, they have finally invented the invisible fire extinguisher.  Perfect for putting out invisible fires:
And to answer any questions about natural light, here is my one and only window.  It may not give any actual natural light, at least I get to look out on any view I want.  None of the kids made a big deal about the window, and I thought no one had even noticed it until one particularly warm day last fall when a student raised his hand, pointed to the window and said “It’s stuffy in here, can you open the window so we can get a breeze in here?”:
There’s my look at my classroom.  If anyone else does this too, please let me know, I love seeing what other teachers do with their space.

7 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Okay, I LOVE the window!

And your desk is nothing compared to mine! Ha! Mine is always piled with stuff.

A Paperback Writer said...

And by the way, why is it that my photos don't show up in your "blogs I follow" section any more?

young-eclectic-encounters said...

My kids when they were in high school had a teacher who gave the kids a choice on one of their projects to purchase a ceiling tile- they are cheap- and decorate it to symbolize a period of history that touched them. My daughter did the footstep instructions for swing dancing and did it in German to represent the secret swing clubs that popped up in Germany amongst the young people as a way of rebellion and learning of American ways. It took a couple of years before enough students picked the project but the effect was stunning.

21 Wits said...

I thought at first glance this is a science classroom and he's a math teacher...If I may say this, it kinda looks like a male teacher's room for sure!....too bad about the windowless area, but you have a lot of equipment....great computer screens, and loads of storage area, wow...most I've seen in a while...are the student desks dark because it was used as a science class? Over all it's gotta be fun going to school/work every day, thanks for letting us take a journey around your room!

Max Sartin said...

Writer - That's a really good question, I have no idea why your pictures don't show up. I even had to check to make sure I hadn't turned off the pictures to all my followed blogs, but it there are some pictures that show up. Weird, kind of hit and miss. I'll have to try some things after work today and see if I can fix it.
y-e-e - Sounds cool, it's great when teachers do creative things like that.
Karen - I think the tables were painted black to discourage writing on them.

21 Wits said...

Oh my goodness your kitties are so adorable at the bottom of your blog...they could melt even dog owners hearts I KNOW! ..and Max I am so happy to see WINTER spending some time on our blog...nice city photo in your blog header...is that recently? If you can believe this they are talking another foot for us on MOnday...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Max Sartin said...

Karen - Thanks, they are cute, although I'm still trying to teach them that meowing will not get me to stop what I'm doing and pet them. Ah well, time will teach.
I took that picture on the 20th of February. It's looking westward down 12th Ave, about halfway up the foothill on the north end of the city. This area of the city, all on the hills, is called "The Avenues" and is an incredibly eclectic area of town. From starving artists to old-money bankers, all within 3 miles of the city center, it's also a hotbed of liberalism in an ultra-conservative state. (Sounds like I used to work for the Tourist Bureau, eh?)
As for winter, we got another little blast of it today. A cold front passed through and although we didn't get an7y snow, just some rain, it was quite chilly when I left school today.