Friday, January 22, 2010

But I’m much better now…

Got home from school Tuesday night and was in bed by 5:30.  Had a small case of the stomach flu or something.  No fever, but all my joints ached and was having gastro-intestinal issues.  About 1:30 in the morning virus%20influenza%20A I knew I wasn’t going to school Wednesday, so I called our district’s automated call-in-sick number.  Now how many of you think I was done at this point.  Ok, you, with your hand up, obviously you’re not a teacher.  If you were, you’d know that I still had to get up at 6, drag my carcass into school and get lesson plans ready for the day.  By 7:30 I was home in bed again and, other than bathroom runs, didn’t get out of bed until 5:30 am on Thursday.  Wednesday?  Did it really exist?  Not for me, but that’s ok, I’m back to (ahem) normal.

sartin

5 comments:

The Gearheads said...

Sorry to hear that, but glad you're feeling better

Jeff said...

Ha! You must have been really sick if you got a sub. I would much rather just go in and teach than make lesson plans for the sub.

Max Sartin said...

Thanks Gearheads, I am feeling better, though not 100%
Jeff - hmm, you must be a teacher too :) (yeah, I know you are). That's why in 16 1/2 years of teaching I've used a whole 14 sick days.

A Paperback Writer said...

I was wondering what'd happened to you.....
As for the sub story, I've got one to match.
Three days before school ended in 2004, my gallbladder had a meltdown and I ended up in emergency surgery. At 2:00 AM I woke up in the hospital room and a nurse came in to check on me.
"Do you need anything?"
"Yes, can you please look up sub-finder in the phone book and hand me a phone?"
She was aghast, but any teacher would understand.
Then, at 7:30 AM, I made another nurse call the school and hand me the phone while I talked the secretary through lesson plans for the day, since I obviously couldn't go in and write them up myself.
So, yeah, teachers understand that calling in sick isn't quite the same thing for us as it is for an office worker.

A Paperback Writer said...

Oh, and I have 210 sick days coming to me on my pay check stub.