Friday, January 15, 2010

Beware the 2010 Census.

I got a big long email warning about people posing as Census takers to get personal information for identity theft.  So, I went online and checked out the census website and it boils down to this:

1. Don’t answer anything unless it comes through the U.S. Mail or from someone in person with U.S. Census Bureau I.D.

2.  Do not answer any questions other than the 10 listed below. 

  1. How many people live there?
  2. Where there any additional people staying there that you did not include in Question 1?
  3. Is this house, apartment or mobile home?
  4. What is your telephone number?
  5. Names of everyone living there.
  6. Gender?
  7. Age and date of birth?
  8. Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin?
  9. Race?
  10. Do they sometimes live or stay somewhere else?

If you want to check out all the information on the Census, here is the link: The 2010 Census.

sartin

6 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

I have lived in this house for 23 years now and I have never yet been visited by the census people. Honestly, I wonder how accurate those things actually are.

Max Sartin said...

Do you usually mail in the form they send you? On the website, they said that the only time they send out a person to an address is if they do not get the form back. I've always sent in the form, and like you, have never had a census taker show up at my door.

Jeff said...

Thanks for this information, Max.

A Paperback Writer said...

I can't ever remember any forms, either.

Max Sartin said...

Hmmmm, that's very peculiar. I'm pretty sure I got mine back in 2000, but I can't remember if I got one back in 1990. Anyway, we'll see if you get one this year, I'll keep asking just to be annoyiing.

A Paperback Writer said...

Of course 2000 was not a particularly good year for me, so I may just have forgotten all about it.