Saturday, April 04, 2009

Hmmm, curiouser and curiouser.

I was in the back yard moving cars around when I heard it.  Same sound I hear once a month or so, the sound of metal intersecting with other metal, plastic breaking.  This was different, though.  It continued into the sound of metal being dragged along the pavement, the first thing that went through my mind was that someone was dragging a trailer without it's wheels.  I made it around the side of the house in time to see a silver truck that was new enough that it's indistinctiveness made it hard to identify, screeching down the road like it was running on a flat tire.  I think it was a Ford, but they all look alike now, and I was focused on the tire.  I went around the other side of the house and out front, expecting to see the hobbling truck on the side of the road just down the street, but it was nowhere in sight.  For some reason it was important enough to get out of the area that they were willing to drive on a flat tire.  Well, I was wrong.  It wasn't a flat tire, they lost the whole damn thing.  They really didn't want to hang around.  Honestly, I'm questioning my eyewitness account, because for the life of me I can't see how they could keep going, as fast as they were, without the front tire.  So, I'm thinking did I see the right truck?  Maybe it was another truck and I just thought it was the silver one?  But then I never did find the truck it came from, so what happened to it?  Then I thought mabye it dropped out of the back of a truck?  This is the most likely explanation, but I swear it sounded like the scraping sound was coming from the silver truck.  You know the Doppler Effect, the way the sound changes as it gets closer to you, passes you and gets farther away.  I swear it fit that silver truck.  But there's no sign of it on the pavement, no damage at all.
..... I'd suck as a witness.  The cops showed up a half hour later, the tire had been moved out of the road (that's when I took the picture).  They stuck around for a little while and left.  Good thing they didn't ask me what I saw.
post signature

1 comment:

Jannx said...

Wow, that does sound strange. I'm glad no one was hurt.