Saturday, October 27, 2007

If you were Dear Abby, what would you say?

Ok, I'll admit it. I read the advice column in the Tribune. It's at the top of the second page of comics and somehow it's infiltrated itself into my morning routine. Some have been amusing, some have been insightful and even infuriating. But nothing has compared to the cluelessness of this one from the other day :

Dear Carolyn: For 15 years now, my wife and I have carried my daughter and son-in-law financially. We have carried the loans for every house and car they have owned, given them over $80,000, and they are repaying $20,000 more in loans. My daughter recently got a tatoo, and when I inquired about it, she said it was her body, etc. I am not a big fan of tattoos on men, let alone women, let alone my daughter. I initially asked if she would remove it and she said no. I then very politely reminded her of the past 15 years of money and favors, and how we had asked for very little in return. I then asked her to please, please do me a favor and have it removed. She went off on me like a nuclear bomb about everything she didn't like about me (intrusive, controlling, etc.) and basically told me to go to hell. Hurt is severely inadequate to describe my reaction. What do you think of her reaction? [signed] - Spoiled Daughter?

I'm not going to post her response, or mine, yet. Just want to see what you all think before I do.

2 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Well, it looks to me like they deserve each other. Any parent who will give over the money probably is controlling (as well as stupid). The daughter probably does feel the pressure -- but there's a might simple way should could've solved it: get a job, pay her own bills, get her own tatoos.
Honestly, I can't tell you which one of these people sounds more immature, which is why I think they are well-matched.

(And some of those advice columns really make you feel good about yourself, don't they? How many times have you thought to yourself, "I'd NEVER do that!" while reading?

Jannx said...

I would have to agree with Paperback, they both seem to deserve each other. 15 years is more than enough time to read the writing on the wall. Both are enablers to the others behavior. 15 years of taking, it doesn't take that long to see the signs of spoilage. And 15 years of giving, worried about a tattoo on the body, not the evidence with the body of (financial)dependency. A match made for each other.