Sunday, August 17, 2014

December 4, 1967 to August 11, 2014.

It’s been over 20 years since I saw him last, but for about 7 years he was a big part of my life.
He was the sysop of The Motel West BBS, and through it he brought together an incredibly eclectic group of people who became close friends.
This group came together right after my business went belly-up, and through the insanity that bred in this group, helped me keep my sanity during my mom’s declining health and after her death.
Thanks to Facebook and a current friend of his, I found out that Mark Alder passed away August 11 of this year.  His obituary doesn’t mention what happened, and since the only contact I’ve had with him for a while has been through Facebook, I have no idea whether this was sudden, an accident or expected.
Mark, rest in peace and thanks for the laughs.

2 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

That's always a shock.
Last year at Oktoberfest, an old dance friend told me of the death by cancer of a dancer I'd been good pals with for about 10 years of my youth. I felt awful that I hadn't known, hadn't said goodbye, hadn't gone to the funeral.

I'm sorry about the loss of your friend. This is a nice tribute.

Harbinger (Herb) F. Doom said...

Goodbye, Mark-Sir Duke.
Your time as part of most of our lives was far too brief, but it's impossible to imagine what it would have been like without you. People I've been able to call friends for years, more laughs and good times than anyone could tally-I, and so many others, have you to thank for these.
You were amongst the most important people of my early adulthood, and I could never thank you enough if I had every single day since we met. But I think you knew what a powerful force for fun, mischief and overall camaraderie you were.

Here's to the laughs, the fun, the cheesy mustache. And to the friends you brought together.

Don