Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Now and Then.

I have a bunch of old pictures from around the city that I’ve been planning on taking the time to get “Now” pictures to match them.  This week’s Thematic Photographic(“Grown”) finally got me out and about  to do it.  It wasn’t as easy as you might think.  First, I have to remember where they were taken then I have to try to get the same perspective, which can be hard considering how much things can change in 35 years.  But I did my best, hopefully these pictures show how much Salt Lake City has grown since I started taking pictures in the late 70’s.  All the “Before” pictures (the top ones) were taken sometime between 1977 and 1980.

Downtown Salt Lake City

The “This is the Place” Monument with the University of Utah behind.

Condominiums right by the house I spent my teen years in.

The Salt Lake Airport has grown a lot since 1978, you no longer have to walk out onto the tarmac and out to the plane.

Looking south on Main Street. 

Trees in Sugarhouse Park

Not only have the trees grown a lot, but…

…so has the business district around the park.

You can see some more “Now & Then” pictures (including these all over again) here.

9 comments:

21 Wits said...

Now, this was awesome, looking between then and now, and both in White & Black so you really had to pay attention to detail. Ma, it's a pretty city that you live in!

Max Sartin said...

Thank you, I'm glad you liked the black and white theme. I thought about whether or not I should change the new ones into b&w to match the older ones, I'm glad I did.

Unknown said...

Very cool series! Even in black and white it seems your city is much greener now. I also like the cars now and then in your street scene.

Alexia said...

It was really interesting to see these, Max - thank you. What a great idea! And Karen's right - it is a very attractive city.

Max Sartin said...

Elizabeth - Thanks. I noticed that also, that there are a lot more trees than in the older pictures. Much nicer.

Alexia - Thanks, I kinda like it here.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

This is a great series, Max.

I've only been through Salt Lake a few times, some for skiing trips, some for bizness.

Solitude is very nice place to go.
~

Bob Scotney said...

Great idea Max. You have made me realise that I could not do anything like this as I have left the then places long ago.

carmilevy said...

Coolest. Time lapse. Ever. You definitely take the prize for most creative license surrounding this week's theme. It never even occurred to me when I selected the theme that this kind of approach would be in scope. Masterful.

(I kinda miss walking on the tarmac. Jetways are such a non-dramatic way of getting on and off a plane. When you had to walk outside, it felt so much more adventurous.)

Max Sartin said...

Carmi - Thanks, and I agree with you about walking out on the tarmac. Now it feels more like a long ride in an elevator than a real trip.