Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Strangers in our midst.

I see a lot of strangers in our midst, and they don’t even flinch when I take picture after picture of them.

They’re the members of the team opposing my students.  We’ve never met before and I don’t know their names, they don’t know mine.

But I’ll admit this take on the theme is kind of a cheat,  because on one level we know each other very well. 

Most of them wouldn’t hesitate to ask me where the restrooms are or the front office or anything else they needed to know while visiting my school, they can spot a teacher a mile away. 

I wouldn’t hesitate to ask them to move for a second so I could get a shot (bystanders, not the players), or to quiet down, sit down or stop any inappropriate behavior.

We don’t know who each other is, but we know each other’s role.  Does this make us strangers or not?

6 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Yes, but taking sports photos is definitely not your usual style, so this is different for you. :)

PS. I think you missed yesterday's great video on my blog. Do drop by and see that one. I promise you'll find it amusing.

Alexia said...

Interesting take on the theme, Max. Yes, we may as well walk around with TEACHER tattooed on our foreheads...

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Very mysterious!

But teachers will be teachers, and students will be students...
~

Michèle et Jean-Claude said...

These photos reminded me of the time spent in bleachers as a high school student. Thanks for the memories!

Bob Scotney said...

When I think of all the strangers I had on training courses. Now when I meet them they remember me but to me They are just a name if I remember them at all.
Sports shots are are a great idea.

carmilevy said...

That's a seriously evocative question, and I'm not sure I have the answer to it.

Maybe there's a state somewhere between "known" and "stranger". Like someone we didn't know previously, but with whom there's enough in-the-moment commonality to ease the conversation a bit.

Wow, you've got me thinking!