Friday, July 12, 2013

:) When suspicions are confirmed.

I tend to question the validity of everything I see and read on Facebook, and the internet in general.  Which is why, unless it’s funny regardless of it being true or not, I either ignore a lot of the stuff, or check on it before I bother to “like” and/or “share” it.

Which is why when I saw a list of incredibly ironic names that claimed to be the pilots of the Asiana plane that crashed in San Francisco, I simply thought “Yeah, right” and moved on.

Later, when I saw the above post from AATTP, I decided to find out who was yanking my chain.  A quick Google search validated my suspicions, brought up several stories on the names and as it turns out KTVU News in San Francisco did confirm these names as the actual pilots, on the air, live.

In defense of the news organization, they had called the National Transportation Safety Board and a summer intern did confirm the names (NTSB Press Release).

Then I saw this one and thought the same thing.

But, with my recent confirmation of my feelings about the fake names, decided to check out it’s authenticity.  I Googled Barbara Soper and, again, found several articles on her.

This time I was wrong (sorta), she actually exists and she did have three children born on 08/08/08, 09/09/09 and 10/10/10.

But, the odds are way off, considering all three were induced labors.  According to this article, they were all induced for medical reasons, not to intentionally give birth on these days, but that still means there was human interference, which alters the odds.

Hmmm, reminds me of that commercial “It has to be true, I saw it on the internet.”  Yeah, right.

No comments: