Friday, July 26, 2013

Utah in July: Fireworks Season.

Living in Utah, if you have war related PTSD, July is a good month to go on vacation.  For the whole month.

You see, we have U.S. Independence Day (4th of July) and then 20 days later we have Pioneer Day (24th of July).  That celebrates the arrival of Brigham Young and his LDS followers in the Salt Lake Valley.

Which means that we have 14 days of fireworks in one month.  And that’s if everyone follows the rules, which allow them 3 days before and 3 days after each of the holidays.  In reality, we have a full month where you can expect your quiet evenings to be interrupted with explosions at any time.

This 24th I decide to go up on the hill and see what pictures I could get of the fireworks.  I got up there around 9:00, even though the official fireworks wouldn’t start until 10:00, and I’m glad I did.  The first thing that struck me was that it sounded and looked like I was looking down on a town under siege.  Fireworks were going off all across the valley.  I could see explosions all over the place, and the smoke their launch left hanging right above the trees.  And I could hear popping and banging all around me, some of the louder explosions echoing off the mountains.  It was weird, surreal.  Hopefully you can get an idea of it from this video.  Keep in mind I took it with my cell phone, so don’t expect too much clarity.

Here are some of the pictures I took.  It surprised me that I liked some of the lighter ones better than the ones taken later at night.

 

 

 

P.S. – Lisa, this is where I took the pictures from:

3 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Oh, very well done. Where were you standing to get these?

Alexia said...

These are great. My top fave is number 8, where the "starburst" seems to be right in front of the camera.
Nice work, Max.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

What a great vantage point, Max.

And you took full advantage!

(rim-shot)
~