Friday, February 17, 2012

It’s a name changer.

My parents didn’t give me or my siblings middle names.  I got mine when, at 13, I applied for my Social Security card and on the application it asked for my legal name, and then asked for my working name.

So, according to the Social Security office, I have a middle name.  My bank thinks I have a middle name, my employer does, as do all my bills and all the titles to my cars. And for 35 years my driver’s license has agreed with them.

Until today.

My little brother (Mr. Gearhead) and I took the day to renew our licenses.  We had heard horror stories about renewing since they changed the laws a couple years back, hours waiting, several trips to get the right documentation, etc., etc.


To renew your license you need your old license, birth certificate, Social Security card and (if you have moved) two pieces of mail proving your new address.  Letters from friends don’t count, they have to be bills.

Neither of us have moved in the last 5 years, we brought all the proper documentation, showed up in the parking lot at 9:49 and got back in the car at 10:29.  Both times were AM, both on the same day.

Since I have another 5 years before I have to go through that again, I’ll tell you the secret.  DON’T go to the West Valley offices.  They are more central to the valley, so they are a lot busier.


All went smooth, except that I lost my middle name.  According to the new laws, my license must reflect my name exactly as it appears on my birth certificate.  No exceptions, even if it is just a middle initial and the Federal Government has accepted it and put it on my Social Security records.

I’m ok with that, although I would have liked to keep it.  It’s just that I’m not sure what’s going to happen if I ever need to get something notarized and my documentation and signature don’t match my driver’s license.

6 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Can't you have it legally changed? Or is it not worth the effort?

Max Sartin said...

Yeah, and most likely not worth the cost either. Although I have thought about spending the effort and money to change my name to Stefano Schiavina, to match my paternal grandfather's last name.

Lisa Shafer said...

That's kind of a mouthful, though.

Max Sartin said...

Yeah, the kids would massacre that on a daily basis.

21 Wits said...

It bothers me too when the rules constantly change. When I remarried I wanted to hyphenate my first husband's name (having a son and liking that name more) with my new hubby but it couldn't be done without dropping my middle name. Apparently that's not the case any more...grrrr! Hopefully they let you keep your old license for proof of the change? Mn gives ours back with a clipped corner. (Last I knew, ha ha!)

Max Sartin said...

Yeah, I still have the old one. In Utah they use a hole punch on it to show that it is no longer good. But I still have it!