Friday, February 11, 2011

Strangers in the water

The Thematic Photographic for this week is “Strangers”.  I have to admit that one of the things I love to do is people watching.  And with a good lens you can capture some interesting things that go on in public.  No, I don’t peek into windows or private back yards or even front porches, that would be creepy.  But I find people in public places fascinating.  This set of photos was taken back in 2007 at the fountain in the Gateway Mall in downtown Salt Lake City.  For being in such a backwards state, Salt Lake is quite forward thinking.  Our city council was the first in the state to pass employment and housing protections for the LGBT community.  More than any other area in the state, the city protects it’s historic districts and buildings.  Bike paths and lanes on major streets criss-cross the city and Trax lightrail exists and is planned throughout it.  I like the Gateway Mall because it’s an open, walking/bus/Trax friendly mall that includes retail, office and housing.  I don’t know if it still exists, but the Gateway plan included an artisan center, living, working and display spaces.  Ok, enough of the love-my-city crap, on to the pictures.

When I took these pictures they were playing music, the fountain choreographed to it.  This picture gives you an idea of what the entire space is like:

I was just standing there, watching, and saw this kid.  Immediately I knew what was going to happen, so I focused in on him.  As he got his face closer to the ground, and as the music implied what was soon to happen, I simply held down the shutter button and let the scene unfold in front of me.  Here’s what I got: He knew it was going to spit water at him.  He knew it was going to hit him in the face.  So, why, pray tell, did he stick his face so close to the opening.  Because he’s a kid, that’s why.  And there’s no other explanation.

Click on the banner to join in on the fun, or at least to see what other people have come up with for “strangers”.

5 comments:

21 Wits said...

What a really great public play area! What fun kids have don't you agree? I'd love to see you find a grown-updoing this and snap their pictures...that would really be funny stuff too! I found the beauty of the day very distracting! Come spring please hurry!

Max Sartin said...

Spring? Did you say spring? Where? Soon? NOW, I wish. And kids do have fun, fun with the simplest things and their imagination. That's all they need.

A Paperback Writer said...

I like the IDEA of the Gateway, but the reality is that most of the people who hang out there are either homeless or gangbangers, so it's hardly my favorite spot.
However, I LOVE your kid/fountain sequence. Awesome! Of course, much of the reason you were able to capture it is because of your teacher knowledge of how/why kids behave.
Great post!

Max Sartin said...

Glad you liked this sequence.
I don't hang out there a lot, but I haven't found it to be worse than a lot of places in the city. And if you catch it on a nice warm summer evening, there is a huge variety of people hanging out there, including all those kids.

21 Wits said...

After reading Writer's comment about what that place is usually like I think you should send some of your best photos to Life magazine or one of those type places...cuz I'd never imagine that place like that...you sold me Max....guess that's the teacher in you...love it!