Friday, April 20, 2012

The drawback of driving a 1972 Ford LTD.

On the way out of class one of my students rattled off two 4-digit numbers and then asked “Those sound familiar to you?

Uh, yes.  One was my house number, the other my street number. (For those of you not familiar with Salt Lake City, and Utah in general, our streets are set up on a coordinate system. Each house and each street has a coordinate number that relates to the number of blocks it is either north, south, east or west of the center of the city or town.)

My first thought was that he had somehow come across that information on the internet.  It’s possible, and a couple other students had claimed they were going to pay the buck or so for the information, but it never came through.

20120419

But instead he had been heading somewhere with his brother and they were behind me when I pulled into my driveway.  He described the house and the station wagon on the side of the house perfectly.

If I were driving a 2004 Toyota Corolla, I bet he would have never noticed.

2 comments:

21 Wits said...

I'm sure not! Your baby looks cool sitting there just waiting for a cool ride on the town! Wait, do I hear that rumble coming down the street! :)

Lisa Shafer said...

Oh, I had that problem with my classic car! Everyone knew it everywhere! Then when I drove that boring white thing, no one ever noticed it.
My current car still stands out a little more than average (you know why), but nowhere nearly as much as the classic one did.
My sympathies.
(Remember that time I ended up behind you when you were driving your convertible? I knew it was you from 3 blocks away.)