Monday, November 14, 2011

Why district people need to spend more time in the classroom.

We’ve learned all the keys on the keyboard now, so my Keyboarding classes are ready to start practicing and memorizing the “High Frequency Words”, the most common 100 words used in business correspondence.

Luckily (sort of) the District  person (from another school district, not mine) who taught my class last summer supplied us with Powerpoint presentations for the kids to follow.  I’m on the third set, #51 through 75, and the last five words in the presentation, in the order they show up, are:

has

her

hot

it’s

lay

I almost plotzed when I saw those words come up on the screen.  Fortunately they show up one at a time, and the students at the school I’m at are quite a bit more naïve than I’m used to.  Not a single one, in any of my 3 classes, said anything or even gave a snicker, and we went through the set at least three times each class.

On the other hand, the teachers I showed it to all laughed.

4 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Bwaaa-haaa-haa-ha! My 9th graders would've screamed in laughter. My sevvies, on the other hand, would've been clueless.
My ninth-grade grammar book has a few bits in it that make me think some of the editors had never met 14-year-olds as well. There's a set of examples on how adverbs tell how, when, where, and to what extent. It includes the following examples all one right after another:
Did you lie quietly?
She barely moved.
I scarcely slept.

Yeah, there is NO WAY to get through that with a straight face, so I just giggle right along with the kids.

Max Sartin said...

You see, that's what I expected. Granted I have only 7 9th graders sprinkled throughout the 3 classes, but the rest are half 7th and half 8th. But it's a whole different world up there, I have a few students that were shocked to hear I actually watch South Park.

Lisa Shafer said...

Oh my.
I think I prefer them not so sheltered. Really, how could I teach Romeo and Juliet if none of the kids got all Shakespeare's dirty jokes? I'd be dying trying not to laugh. And it would be so dull!

Lisa Shafer said...

Oh, and my 8th graders are the worst of all: old enough to get the sophisticated dirty jokes, but still young enough to laugh at bathroom humor -- like fart noises from armpits. (sigh)