Friday, November 18, 2011

Più dei Classici

Postcards.  Used to be that anytime you went anywhere you would tell your friends and family “I’ll send you a postcard.”

Now with almost every cell phone having a camera and texting, we just catch a snap and send it to everyone in our contacts.  Who needs postcards anymore?

I laminated a bunch of postcards a while ago.  I have no idea where I got them, but I do know most of them came from my dad’s side of the family from the sender and receiver information on the back.  These date all the way back to 1937.  I have no idea where some of them were sent from, what they are of or even who sent them, but here they are.






I have no idea what the theory was behind producing this postcard, but as you can see from the back, it really was one.




The names and address on the postcards have not been changed because they are decades old and the innocent need not be protected anymore.

7 comments:

21 Wits said...

Oh Max these are cool. I especially like the old stone cottage and the (little bank building and it's artsy look...and that first photo of who knows what all is going on in that picture! Neat stuff....and just recently I tried buying some really cool postcards to mail but they just don't really have so many for sale anymore...I ended up buying some from the Air and Space Museum.....hardly really from California....oh well...

Lisa Shafer said...

Oh look! The Spanish Inquisition used water boarding, too -- just like in Guantanmo Bay!

And my other thought is: no zip codes! Wow.

Max Sartin said...

Karen - I can remember when just about every gas station you went into had a rack of post cards. Now they're nowhere to be found.
.
Lisa - Shame on you, water boarding is NOT torture. I think it's more on the line of coercion, or maybe just a gentle nudge towards the truth. Yeah. Just ask that schmuck running for president.
And no zip codes, I just noticed that. Talk about the olden days!

Alexia said...

This is such a great collection - you are so lucky to own it. I dread to think of all the fascinating bits of cardboard history that were not kept by the people who received them!
I buy postcards now only when it's a place I wasn't allowed to take photos of - can't remember when I last sent one.

Thanks for these Max, I loved looking at them.

Lisa Shafer said...

I agree with Alexia; postcards are still mighty handy when you're not allowed to take photos or perhaps it's not the right weather for good photos.

My only day at the Matterhorn was so foggy it was hard to tell I was in the mountains. Postcards were my only recourse.

Bob Scotney said...

I haven't sent a postcard since the late 1980s. These days the only ones I get are from junk mail companies.
You have a fine collection here Max.

carmilevy said...

These are lovely...a reminder of a simpler time when communication was physical and not virtual, when you could pick up a letter or postcard, run your fingers over the ink and know that your correspondent had touched that very spot.

Somehow, technology has never been able to replicate that visceral feel. A good thing.