Sunday, July 25, 2010

Tree Removal 102

My neighbors were kind enough to park their cars out of the way once again, so my brother got his truck back there for the rest of the pulling.  We started with this clump of small trees in the picture.  My brother wrapped the cable around about a third of the branches and yanked at them.  No go.  A big tree with a single trunk is a lot easier to yank out than a clump of little trees with intertwined branches and roots.  We decided the best way to deal with this is just cut it down and kill the roots.

The remaining three trees went easily, except for when a lady in the apartment complex opened her window and told us to quiet down and slammed the window shut.  It’s not like we were up at 6:00 in the morning waking everybody up, this was at 10:30, well within the legal requirements.  We just ignored her, because if you  can’t be polite and I’m doing things at a reasonable time, well I’m just going to continue doing what I need to get done.  We tear out another tree, and a guy opens up the window and nicely says something about trying to sleep and concerns about rocks hitting his window.  We explained that the way we were pulling, rocks were very unlikely to hit his window, and then told him we had one more tree to pull out and then we would be done.  He closed the window, not slamming it, and that was the last we heard from him.  My brother suggested we try one more time to pull out the clump of trees, but since the polite encounter with the guy I decided to keep my word to him and stop at that last one.  Otherwise we probably would have tried the clump again.

Now that the big trees are all out, all that is left is snipping down the clump that is left and cutting the big trees into bite sized pieces.  Anybody with a chainsaw, or axe if you’re Amish, that wants some free firewood is more than welcome to come over sometime and help with the chopping.  Anything you chop you can have.

11 comments:

Jo said...

Killing nature for metal, how rude! ;) Lunch this week???

Max Sartin said...

Yeah, well. What can you say. I keep texting you about lunch, are you getting them? Thursday is the only day I can't do lunch, other than that whatever works for you.

A Paperback Writer said...

Sounds like a hot, sweaty Sunday. Glad you mostly got through with it.
What's next? Another carport? Just some evened-out ground to park on?

Max Sartin said...

Hopefully before winter I'll have a couple of those car tents for them to park in. Eventually (long term) I do want to build something more permanent.

A Paperback Writer said...

Eventually, you could become a designer of customized garages and have your own webbusiness.

Max Sartin said...

:) I like that. My first major in college actually was Architecture. I've done a lot of house designs, but switched majors one year into Pre-Architecture.

A Paperback Writer said...

And here I was just thinking it was all that math that made you so good with remodling and designing, etc. So your one year of architecture was, in fact, very useful to you.
If only I could say the same thing about that History of Polish Cinema During The Cold War class that I took.......

Max Sartin said...

History of Polish Cinema during the Cold War. Hmmmm, even as someone of Polish descent, I have a feeling there's a good joke in there somewhere.
Yeah, I took some obscure classes during the 15 years it took to get my B.S. The ones I can remember was Meteorology. bowling and tennis. I flunked tennis.

A Paperback Writer said...

Okay, since the course was really still DURING the Cold War, it was really called History of Polish Cinema. It was all depressing art films (because what else could anyone make in a Soviet Bloc country at the time? a remake of "The Music Man"? No wait; that's capitalist.) in Polish with English subtitles. I took it because it was my last quarter and I needed one fine arts credit and that was the only class that fit my schedule.
At the time, i disliked the class because itw as such a downer. But I learned a LOT that has stuck with me since: solidarity, Lech Walesa, what communism was REALLY like for ordinary people, etc.
And sometimes it comes in handy. Just a few weeks ago at the Shakespeare festival, a lady behind me in line got talking about art films, so I threw in "Have you ever seen 'Ashes and Diamonds'?? We got talking about it and it made me sound rather more knowledgeable than I really was....
Let's face it: my cinema class is funnier, but your architecture class is tons more practical. I'm not going to be making any art films, you know.

Max Sartin said...

Oh, I was imagining specifically cold-war era Polish Films. Of course since you took the course during the cold-war era, it could have been called "Modern Polish Cinema". There's still gotta be some good jokes in there somewhere.
.
Yeah the Architecture classes I took probably have a lot to do with the stuff I do at my house, although for the life of me I can't remember any of the specifics I learned way back then. (Took them all in the late 70's).

A Paperback Writer said...

They WERE all Cold War Films: post WWII to 1987.