Tuesday, July 27, 2010

No work on the back yard today :)

But I did put a new motor in the swamp cooler.  It was making a really annoying clicking noise, I checked several things and came to the conclusion that it was the motor.  It’s about 13 years old, nice and rusted.  I pulled on the pulley and the shaft moved back and forth almost 1/4 of an inch.  That may not seem like much, but when talking about an electric motor, it shouldn’t move at all.  So for $100 at, guess where……, Home Depot I got a new one and everything is fine again. 

As I was driving down to get the new motor, I thought that one of the things I like about a swamp cooler was that I could fix any problem with it myself, and cheap compared to central air.  My next thought was ‘but with central air, I could just call somebody and have them sweating out in the heat fixing it.’  But then I thought ‘yeah, but that would cost a boatload of $$$’.  If I could just figure out a way to get someone else to work out in the 90+ degree sun sweating like a pig, without having to pay for it.  Yeah, that would be nice.

I also did a little more trim work on the porch roof.  I’ve got all the decking in, covering the linoleum from above, and everything is working great.  We had a downpour (by Utah standards) at my house yesterday and not a single drop showed up inside the porch!  YES!  Success! (cross fingers, knock on wood)

This weekend it’s fence building.  Weather permitting.

3 comments:

The Gearheads said...

You had that once. Actually you had somebody who would work on your house in 90+ degree weather AND PAY YOU every month.

Mr.

Max Sartin said...

:) True, true. So I just need to find another roofer to rent the room.

A Paperback Writer said...

I'll have to show you what my dad did to juryrig my swamp cooler motor. It was making a clicking noise and moving around, like yours was. Dad wedged in some strips of wood, and it's been good for another 5 years or so now......