Sunday, July 18, 2010

In the clear again…

It was almost 100 today and I was out working on the porch roof again.  Hot work.  Discovered that a nice cotton hat can be a lot of help.  Not to keep me cooler, but to absorb the sweat that would otherwise drip into my eyes.  It’s a lot easier to see what you’re doing when your eyeballs aren’t waterlogged with dirty, salty water.

One of the things I learned from my dad from camping in the So. Utah deserts was to watch my pee.  As disgusting as this sounds, it helps keep me from getting dehydrated, and in 100 degree weather with 22% humidity, dehydration is easy to achieve.  The darker the color, the more water you need to drink.  Clear or almost clear means you’ve been drinking enough (and alcohol does not count).  Halfway through the project I noticed I wasn’t drinking enough, so I started guzzling glasses of room temperature water.  I discovered on my own that, at least for me, when I’m dehydrated ice cold water gives me stomach cramps.  Not so good.

Anyway, it’s almost 11 now, still 86 degrees, but at least my pee is clear.  Just what you wanted to know.  The good news is that all the decking is in place, and all but one small piece (I had to stand somewhere) has the requisite 3 coats of paint.  I just have to paint the last spot and reassemble the railing that keeps me from falling off when working on the swamp cooler.

Now, it’s time to put in another “That 70’s Show” DVD and rest these aching bones.

4 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Thanks for the update on urine samples.... ;)
And I'm glad you didn't paint yourself into a corner.

The Gearheads said...

Hmmm... I have been teaching my troubles the exact same thing. Wonder if dad knows his words did not go upon deaf ears.

Mr.

Jo said...

Phewww! I was getting worried about the brown color! When can we do lunch or dinner now that I am free (well after today I am as I have my last final and my last paper to write).

Max Sartin said...

Writer - yeah, I thought about that. But my motto is "Always have an exit strategy."
Mr. Gearhead - well, if he reads my blog, now he knows. If not, we should tell him at the next family gathering.
Jo - Tomorrow? I'll text ya.