Ok, you all know (or at least most of you do) that I'm not a big fan of forwarded propaganda emails. And this is no exception, other than the fact that it may be true. But so what? Wal-Mart makes money. Because Wal-Mart makes money, Wal-Mart grows. Same with McDonalds, Starbucks and Barnes & Noble. But for some reason when Wal-Mart does it's some sort of communist plot to overthrow the American way of life. Yeah, right. Wal-Mart is making tons of cash BECAUSE of the American way of life.
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm NOT a fan of Wal-Mart. Mainly because it's not worth wading through hoardes of unwashed Americans in sweat pants, down their narrow, dirty isles (eisles? eyeslieyes? I dunno) to stand in their 30 minute lines just so I can save a buck or two on a canned ham. But anyway, here's the gloom and doom-all I gotta do is hit 'forward' and send it on email that I got the other day. Didn't make me hate Wal-Mart any more or less, but did make me wonder if people actually think before they send these on their merry way to gum up my inbox.
For some reason when anyone talks about things like this I think
that the next villain for James Bond will be the CEO of WalMart...
--HOW BIG IS WAL-MART? This should boggle your mind (and scare you
- 1. At Wal-Mart, Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every
- 2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!
- 3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day
(March 17th) than Target sells all year.
- 4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears
+ Costco + K-Mart combined.
- 5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest
private employer. And most can't speak English
- 6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the
- 7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway
combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.
- 8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought
bankruptcy (including Winn-Dixie).
- 9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the
- 10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906
are S uperCenters; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.
- 11. This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will
occur at a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5
- 12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a
- 13. Let Wal-Mart bail out Wall Street!