Friday, October 19, 2012

One step closer.

I spent an hour at a place that does CNG conversions today.  Learned a lot, and now I’m even more sure that I want to do the conversion.

It’s going to cost me about $5,500 for the conversion to bi-fuel, which means the car will still run on gasoline if I ever run out of CNG.

They also offer financing, which is helpful since I don’t have six grand hanging around.  I’ll have a car payment for the first time in several years, but the savings in gas bills should make the payment, and more.  Gas mileage per GGE (gasoline gallon equivalent) should be about the same, and since Utah is flush with natural gas production, a GGE costs about $1.50 right now.

With the bi-fuel, driving long distances isn’t a problem, although a lot more expensive if I can’t find a CNG station.  Fortunately, as you can see from the map, there’s quite a few stations around Utah.  I could probably make it all the way to Vegas and back totally on CNG.

Do I hear “Road Trip”?

4 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Vegas can be expensive, just by being there.

;-)

Max Sartin said...

Ain't that the truth. But at least it'll be cheap getting down there.

Lisa Shafer said...

This is fascinating. :)

21 Wits said...

But- if you don't gamble like me- it can be one of the cheapest places to visit!