Thursday, May 10, 2012

President Obama endorses Same-Sex Marriage.

Up until today I was absolutely sure that Obama would get re-elected.

The Bible-belt has serious problems with a Mormon as president, and I could see that opinion giving a decent block of the South to Obama.

But now they will have to decide between a Mormon and a Same-Sex Marriage lover.  I can only imagine the internal struggles going on inside them.

Do you think I’m right or not?  I’m curious to know if I missed an angle and welcome any rational opinion on this.  Please limit comments to how this will help/hinder either Obama or Romney.

I do not want to debate the merits of same-sex marriage here, I have my opinion and you have yours and we’ll probably never change each other’s minds.  I simply want to ask:

Do you think this will make Obama’s
re-election stronger or less likely?

Please discuss.

6 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

My main reaction is evil chuckling at the dilemma of all those homophobic, Mormon-hating born-agains. Oh my, oh my. Whatever will they do?
*snicker*

Sorry. That isn't really an intelligent contribution to your discussion request, but it is what I think of first.

As for how this affects the election -- well, I have a hard time understanding why any woman would want to vote Republican right now, but I know many will.

I suspect Obama did this to force the issue. However, I did hear on the radio this morning that a Gallup poll yesterday indicated that gay marriage didn't even crack the top ten election issues most people had. According to that report, it was all about economics anyway. Maybe that will be correct and this will all be a moot point.

Max Sartin said...

Hmmm, if it's true that same-sex marriage doesn't even make the top ten issues, then my theory is shot. That means that chances are it won't sway too many votes, either way.
Thanks for the info.

21 Wits said...

All I can think is that he feels in his heart of hearts that he has no chance of being elected again, so why not really toss a curve ball into the pot and just maybe the stew will come out in his favor!

Max Sartin said...

I was going under the assumption the assumption that he had the election locked up. If I let go of that bias, then your scenario makes a lot of sense.
Thanks.

Alexia said...

As someone watching from afar, I have no real sense of his chances of being re-elected, although when Romney became the opposition I did think that Obama probably had it in the bag.
Probably this doesn't qualify as a rational opinion, though - what would a non-American know? :)

Max Sartin said...

Sometimes it's good to get an outsider's view of what's going on.
I'm still hoping Obama has it in the bag, although I'll probably vote for a 3rd party. After all, Romney would have to do something incredibly heinous not to win Utah by a landslide.