Sunday, December 19, 2010

Just funny.

Not one of my better pictures, and that’s even after digitally messing around with it.  I like it because it reminds me of why I keep teaching.  This was written on the black top of one of my classroom tables using the eraser end of the pencil.  I saw it while cleaning up after school and all I could do was laugh.  I didn’t even clean it off, just left it there for others to enjoy.  To this day the kid who wrote it doesn’t even know how funny I found it, or that I even noticed it.

 

 

 

4 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

That IS funny!

So, real world math problem. Today in church the speaker was telling the Christmas story as found in the Book of Mormon (yeah, it's in there, but that's not the point of this comment). He started with a prophecy which the footnote identified as in 6 BC and told us to imagine we were 10 years old at that time. Then he went to another section listed as 1 AD, and asked, "So how old would you be now?" Without waiting for an answer, he said, "That's right: 15." And he kept referring to this throughout the rest of his talk, which really, really bugged me.

Anyway, I just felt the need to unload this off on a math teacher because no one else near me even seemed to notice.

Max Sartin said...

Hmmm, bad math is always good. Let's see, if you were 10 in 6BC that meant you were:
11 in 5BC,
12 in 4BC,
13 in 3BC,
14 in 2BC and
15 in 1BC not 1AD.
Which means, since there was no year 0, that you would be 16 in the year 1AD.
You could excuse the mistake of counting a year 0, and saying that you would be 17 in 1AD, but seriously, if you are planning a speech in front of a bunch of people, you'd think you would do a little research and math and make sure you got it right.

A Paperback Writer said...

Since this sort of problem (minus the religious references) is common in academic games, I was really bugged by it, even though it was only one year off.

21 Wits said...

Very wise student, glad you snapped a picture of it!